FNG needs help with 96 EX engine replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

econorocket

Yeah, don't make fun, but I am the FNG. I am also in need of help. A buddy gave me his 96 Civic EX after he blew the engine while averaging 120mph on the autobahn for over two hours. Needless to say, the D16Y8 is toast, and I need to replace it. First off, this is my first attempt with a Honda. Second, I want as smooth of a replacement as possible, as in Plug and Play. And third, I would like to keep the cost of the engine to less than $1000. Oh, and did I mention that I have to deal with being in Germany? That's bound to cut down on my choices.

From the research I have done, it looks like I could get a B18B1 for pretty reasonable, and it looks like the B16A engines are right at the top of what I would like to pay. So, I'm looking for comments: what is the easiest swap for my car; anything I should look out for; where's the best place to buy from. As far as making the car a performer, of course I like more power, but my plan is to just fix the car and sell it. I'm even willing to consider putting back in the D16Y8 if I could find one out there that the price was right.

Alright, let me have it. I'll come back prepared for ridicule, but will appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks...

What kind of problems will I face if I put in a D15B engine? Will it be a direct bolt up? I may have found an H22 motor for next to nothing. Is that swap going to cost to much, both with time and money? I really need some help here.

just get the obd2 d15b get the one with tripple stage vtec that would be sweet, but it will bolt right up

the h22 would be a very involved swap. what do you mean "next-to-nothing"??? how low of a price are you looking at?

Less than a grand. Would prefer just a replacement engine, without having to replace tranny, half shafts, and the such. The more quick forward with the least amount of major replacement, the better. Like I said before, I've never really worked with Hondas, so I am at a bit of a loss compared to most/all on here.

Back