1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you new to turbocharging...

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by Loco Honkey, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

2. swanny

swanny Senior Member

nice write up. your time is appreciated

3. Prelude92

Prelude92 Member

4. h22bubbleback

h22bubbleback Senior Member

starting my turbo project soon...good read :)

5. hybridsol

hybridsol Senior Member

good general boosting knowledge, theres also a honda book that you can get that talks about building/boosting/running turbo motors, i found this as a very good read, i'll find it and get the titrle up here, btw its about as thick as a helms manual ha so reserve some time

6. tab

tab Super Moderator

I don't read novels, but when it comes to cars, my eyes never get tired. I can read article after article. The beauty is, when you read more, the next article makes that much more sense. Thanks Loco.

7. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

Howstuffworks.com has a basic description on how turbos work themselves if anyone wants to see.

8. integraslut78

integraslut78 Stylus DJ Extraordinaire

Loco Honkey
    I am looking into a turbo system for my 2001 Integra GS (NON VTEC). I want to use this car as my daily driver I am lookin at a t3/t4 turbo and running a Hondata S200.
    Do you think this would be good for a daily driver? Thank you for the write up it is starting to make more sense to me someone that does not know much about turbos

9. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

At the risk of having another quote in your sig from me.... That was an awesome write up Loco :thumbsup:

On a side note... anyone that wants to spend some of their time reading about turbos and how they work so Ji doesn't get carpol tunnel syndrome, I highly suggest picking up "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. I got it last August and started reading through it...it's nothing but a wealth of turbocharging information...just like Loco is. :)

10. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

The Bell book is pretty good- but unfortunately, its highly outdated. While turbos themselves haven't changed much, setups and computers have. I wish he puts out a new edition soon. the 1988 one is dated. lol ok, so its not 1988, but the only honda in it is a 1st gen teg.

It's a good book to learn about fundamentals of boost- but its far from a bible on how to set up your honda.

11. ferrarikiller

ferrarikiller Senior Member

So if I go with the hondata or something like that, than what sort or fuel pump, rail, injectors and such, would I use for a reliable fuel system to work with a turbo?

12. swanny

swanny Senior Member

It all depends on how big of turbo you are going to run, how much boost etc.

13. HellBentHONDA

HellBentHONDA Senior Member

heres a formula for figurin fuel inj. size:

expected engine HPxBSFC/#of injectors

BSFC is Brake Specific Fuel Consumption is a tunability factor which is anywhere from .45 (perfectly tuned on the edge only likely in SERIOUS race conditions) to .60 (rich running turbo to prevent detonation). to be conservative use .50, that'll give you some leeway.

expected hp say is 350hp

350x.50/4 = 43.75 lbs/hour injectors

to change to cc:

[(inj. size in lbs per hour X 454)/60]/.75

[(43.75 x 454)/60]/.75
    [(19862.5)/60]/.75
    [331]/.75 =
    441cc

Fuel Pump Capacity:

total fuel flow=
    fuel flow in lbs per hour X # of injectors
    43.75lbs per hr X 4 = 175

total fuel flow/6.25=fuel flow in gallons per hour
    175/6.25=28gph

convert that into liters/hour:
    (gph)x3.8
    28x3.8=106.4 liters per hour

14. brasilianstreet

brasilianstreet Senior Member

wow real nice artical i give you alot of respect for trying to help out everyone who doesnt understand about turbos much or are new to it and need help, im actually new to turbo im looking for one for my ls/vtec. my set up is a b16 tranny,b18 block and b16 head . i have a 96 civic ex with this swap . if you could help me in any more ways ? like im getting crower I beam rods and arias pistons for compression around 8.5-9.2 and im getting the hondata s200 system also now i need to find a good turbo and what type of power should i go with like how much psi should i run and how much boost ? i talked to some people i know that are also professional and i told them im looking for around 400 hp and i dont know about the psi and everything else but can you clear this up for me like how can you figure the psi from a certain turbo or what is psi ?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted