Ghetto Freeze

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
Its been pretty cold in PA in the AM, the car is just incredible when its that cold. It reminded me of an idea I read about in a Grand National book and used on my Sube.

SO, I'm going to use that idea from the Subaru and see how it works on a turbo car. The only mods I had at the time was a custom CAI, cat-back, and Underdrive pulley. I was able to pickup .25 in the 1/4 with this idea, AND it only cost like $40.

Here's what it is:
Buy a roll of 1/4" Copper Tubing or 3/8" will work too. Coil it around your CAI or IC pipe just before the Throttle Body. I'll prolly do it down to where my BOV is (pic below for Ex.) Then you unhook your washer res from the pissers and connect it to one side of the tubing. Then drill a hole for a barb in the top of the res and connect that to the other end of the tubing. Now its a complete circuit.

Remove the power connector for the pump and hardwire it to a toggle switch. Lastly, fill it with a lot of Ice and Water. After about 30 seconds the pipe will be freezing cold and you'll see sweat coming off of the tubing :)

I will get some before and after times on a road by my house. Obviously there's some room for error using a stopwatch, but it should be a noticable difference in time anyway.

uhoh.jpg

I'll post some pics and all later tonight :cool:

I paid $11 for 20' of it just now :)

This idea has been out for a LONG time now. My dad had a book from prolly 10 years ago and thats where I got the idea. He actually helped me make the first one and we were fuckin shocked at how well it worked.

At the strip actually on that car. Today though will be a stop watch. We do this a lot though and are pretty good with the accuracy.

coppericpipe.jpg

I guess 20' wasnt enough to cover the whole thing. I needed another 5 feet to make it fit the whole section, but this will have to do :)

Its fuckin ugly, but it does work!!

I plan on painting the copper tubing flat black when I get home tonight to try and clean it up as much as possible. Its kinda hard to hide coiled up copper tubing though :lol:

Then you lose a lil more then .25" of pipe diameter and maybe some turbulence from the lil grooves between the coils. IDK about airflow and what can hinder it though, so this maybe just talking out of my ass! :lol:

It works rly good man, the pipe will be cold for a few inches on either side of the coils. I will post a vid later of it running and you can watch the pipe get cold and start to sweat like a SOB!

any way to do more of the pipe than just that lil area? My guess is that it would be advantageous to get as much of the pipe as possible w/out overworking the capacity of the pump . . .

Last edited:
Oh yeah, just get more copper tubing and you can connect it with pieces of 3/8" rubber line or get tubing in 50' lengths. Thats how much 20' of it covered

the only problem with going for more surface area is your closed loop system...
the washer fluid tank only holds so much fluid and ice

a mustang guy i know was running low 8's with a seriously built supercharged stang
he had a nice water/ice cooled system to cool his charge temps
but he had the resevoir in the back with an insane flow pump

Yeah i dont think the honda civic washer pump is up for that kinda action.

Maybe modifying the resivor tank to fit a pump for a huge truck would work for more flow?

I think using an aerosol canister of something similiar to EnDust (That air in a can to blow dust out of ur keyboard) would be more efficient and easier to refill. (Dont use butane, for obvious reasons) If the canister is upside down, it sprays the compressed liquid out, which immediately dissipates and freezes the fuck out of anything it touches. If you rigged up a system where one of these canisters would spray over a large section of the intake pipe or intercooler, It would make it a hell of a lot colder than ice water. And, it would never thaw out like the ice would, plus when you run out, all you gotta do is plug another canister in.

Back