got another promotion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
nice job, chris. congrats.

but on the college thing... depending on where you're coming from...

if you're going to one of those vocational places that's like an accelerated program, you're fucked. you just spent 30k on two pieces of paper you'll never use.

the ex went to school for 2 years to get those, and now he's a car salesman. thing is, he makes moe doing that now than he would have as a net admin.

*shrug* maybe you'll be one of the stories they feature on tv about you getting the good job though. :) good luck
hey...all my college has been free...scholarships are great...so i cant complain...free college experience that some dont get the chance to experience...maybe they are just jealous and thats why they put college students down...who knows

they arent going to fire me. why give me a raise and fire me?

i now make 45K/yr.

i didnt go to a voke college, voke high school.

fuck tv :p

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
nice job, chris. congrats.

but on the college thing... depending on where you're coming from...

if you're going to one of those vocational places that's like an accelerated program, you're fucked. you just spent 30k on two pieces of paper you'll never use.

the ex went to school for 2 years to get those, and now he's a car salesman. thing is, he makes moe doing that now than he would have as a net admin.

*shrug* maybe you'll be one of the stories they feature on tv about you getting the good job though. :) good luck
hey...all my college has been free...scholarships are great...so i cant complain...free college experience that some dont get the chance to experience...maybe they are just jealous and thats why they put college students down...who knows

:thumbsup: to free college, seriously. :)

First semester psyche students can even tell that the Chris/Mirage neigh-sayers pick on them because they totally wish they had one.

the bf's ex is a major in psych but the bitch doesn't know she's psycho. hahah

tell me about it. I hate psyche students. But there is a dance troupe of tutu wearing folks who follow Chris around the net shooting at his good fortune with Mitsubishi slams, It's funny.

Quoted post[/post]]
they arent going to fire me. why give me a raise and fire me?

i now make 45K/yr.

i didnt go to a voke college, voke high school.

fuck tv :p

You havent seen un with dick and jane... just kidding, I make about the same as you (about $2K a year less) and I dont have a degree.

Just throwing this out there, there are a lot of jobs that have ok pay with no qualifications.

My job for instance. I am a material Handler at a big electrical contracting firm. If I was to go full time, the minimum I can get paid is 16.70 through the union. But I am not full time, So I get stuck with what I get because I can't legall belong to the union. (Local 191 electrician shop).

Anyone can get a paying job. It's what you do with the little education you've received to accomplish that job and move up.

Kudos Mirage.

union jobs usually pay more than regular ones, dont they?

not nitpicking, just curious.

Quoted post[/post]]
congrats...in december i will have my bachelors in I.T. i just started at a little business doing network administration...w00t w00t! im still learning a lot...but once i get it all down pat...ill be lookin for bigger jobs... :)

I.T. - Industrial Technology or Information Technology?

Here at poly, IT is short for I Tried, lol. It's where you go when a real engineering major hands you your ass. lol. But I'm sure it's a real major where you go to school.

Congrats Chris on the promotion. I'm sure they will find more ways to inconvenience you more as a result of this promotion. You thought you were stressed before. BUt maybe at least they'll let you fire your assistance by yourself. lol

Quoted post[/post]]

Depends on what union... When I used to work at a grocery store, the food worker's union just bent me over with no lube, took my union dues and then sent me on my way.

oh gotcha.

well im in the hiring process right now for a mid-level that i will have full control over. im all for the inconveniences, its just hard to do TWO people's worth of work ALL the time. i have my own assignments and projects to take care of. no time to worry about pulling someone else's weight.

Quoted post[/post]]

Incredibly.

A Journey man electrician makes roughly 35-45 an hour. A Foreman electrician makes about 10% more. It all depends on what the prevailing wage is in the area.

The only down side is that during the apprenticeship, which can last up to 5 years, you get paid only a small percentage of what a journeyman does, and you have to work nearly 2x as hard.

I'm just making the point, one can do a lot of stuff without a higher education and make decent money. It just depends on how able they are to use the little education they received in high school to cope, adapt, learn on the new job.

I think i'm going on deadliest catch next season :X

make a quick 25 grand.
i don't sleep any more anyway.... might as well

LOL.

I had a friend in high school that worked on a fish boat every summer. Always came back with 20k+.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
no college education will eventually lose, that is if you decide to keep working for someone.

My father with only a semester at college makes 100k, but you dont know how many times he's not gotten a job because of some kid with a college degree and 1 year experience... many times.

Sure he makes roughly 110k a year, but he could be making so much more. Dont let these non-college people fool all of you.

experience is what you make of it. i work for what i got. thats why dave got fired, he wanted a free ride. fuck him. ive jumped up 15K worth of pay in 6 months. :shrug2:

...and my girlfriends father was once pulling down $150,000 a year and the second American in line in a certain photocopying company without a college degree.

Guess what happened when all the layoffs happened about 5 years back? Thats right, they cut all the experienced people who commanded high wages from their years of dues, and they replaced them with kids fresh out of college that were willing to do the same work, or near the same quality work for much less.

Many people who were "grandfathered" in without college degrees, that made their living from experience and climbing the ladder found themselves screwed when the stuff hit the fan.

My dad was a regional manager of the #3 cable provider in the nation, about 6-8years back, let me tell you - he's no longer a regional manager. He only has a two year degree from a community college. He still does well, but once he was out of the job he couldn't find his way back into the same paying job because he had no degree. The same could be said for my girlfriend's father - he now makes a small percentage of what he once did.

Basically you're throwing rocks when you're in a glass house. A college degree is the greatest security you can have in todays workplace. I hate college, I don't want to be in it, I could have gone to a premiere college in the nation - top 5ish and now I'm going to a top 20ish college - and I still hate it. I just go because I know I need that stupid piece of paper that says that I dedicated 4 years of my life to something, so an employer knows I'm committed and they'll take the risk on me. Sure I can interview well and land a good job, doing what I want to do in sales, but its a moot point since my expansion potential would be limited without a degree.

Quoted post[/post]]
LOL.

I had a friend in high school that worked on a fish boat every summer. Always came back with 20k+.

I have a couple friends that put fencing up and do specific things for arenas and stadiums, like lay grass and such that would come back from a summer with 30k+.

They'd work 70hour work weeks one or two weeks then be off for a week, then back on. They were taken to places and given free food and hotel rooms while they went out on worked on projects at places like Giants Stadium.

Of course the father has connections with the mob and is an oil tycoon, but regardless the kid brought a couple other high school friends in and they were making that kind of money legit.

Thats pretty re-god damn-diculous.

Back