Gotta have what no one has.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wild Bill

Hello,

I'm new here.

Got a 1987 Suzuki Samuria about 2000 lbs. Need to put a B18 in it. "Rocket". Anyone ever seen it done. I have checked every where and can find nothing. Remember , I'm new so if i'm going about this wrong tell me but any information would be great.

Thanks,

WB

eek.

I'm good with Sammy swaps, but this is something I wouldn't do. You'll hate the torque curve. With the samurai gearing, you'll be doing WAY over safe speed before you get any positive results.

My most common Sammy swap is the VW Diesel swap. It's almost bolt in.

Yeah, more of the B18 shortcomings, en masse.

I don't like going over 70 in a Samurai. They really aren't designed for it (Nor are 4runners)

If you need to do the work (Like, you want to do lots of fabbing) then I suggest the Toyota 22R / Ford T5 transmission swap. It's about $600 in adaptor kits, a $1200 motor (I have one built for $1800 you can have) and custome driveshaft. Cable trans, carbeuration, all set.

Thanks for all the replies.

Let me throw out a little more info… I realize Samurais are not meant to go fast. I don’t plan on this being a street racer. What I want to make is a little sleeper…something that no one else has. Something to smoke a civic at a green light. Quick power.

I have got replies saying that b18 is a bad idea cause of bad power range/gear combo. Some say Toyota 22r with ford trans. Even a 13b rotary swap …that sounds very attractive to me. The bottom line is the more it looks like it shouldn’t be done the more I want to do it.

Anyone have any facts?

B18?
22R?
13B? :eek:)

WB

Yeah, the Toyota motor / ford trans is NOT an easy swap - I'm just saying that it would be totally worth it.

the VW Fox Diesel 2.2 would be a worthwhile swap - that others have done. It's almost bolt-in. You keep the Sammy's transmission and axles.

You can also use Vitara engines and transmissions - they align with the axles quite well. That includes the 30 mpg Vitara staggered cam.

HAHAHAH oh god ! Extend the front end too ? does it do endos when you put on the brakes ?

Sorry if thers another Wild Bill... I didnt know.

So right were off track with the Samurai stuff.
Back to my origional dilema then. I have a honda b18. Interested in putting it in something rear wheel drive. What tranny will bolt up to it that will work. I can fab mounts ... not a problem. I want to work with honda power.

WB

we have a wildbillhatchback...but he's not posting much lately...

welp..if you have a B18 and fabbing skills...then your quest will be long if your looking for something not done yet. If your after a sleeper, then look into MG's, or Yugo's...not to many many of those done yet...give up on the CVCC's unless you can find a decent shell from the older ones. There's a kid doing an 78 CVCC with a DOHC in the other forum here....

Try thinking about ...hrmmm.....what haven't I seen yet?....

I know....a nash....hard to find, and you'll piss off a lot of hard core nash guys if you did.

eBay Motors: Nash : Metropolitan (item 140054961686 end time Nov-26-06 12:18:08 PST)

finding a shell might pose a problem though....:(

There is no transmission on the shelf that will make a B18B RWD. That said, you may be able to bolt or adapt the bell from the honda transmission to something small like a Triumph transmission, but then you would need to adapt the 24 or 26 teeth from the triumph spline to the Honda crank. good luck with that one.

There is no easy way to do this. I think the B18 will be disappointing in the Sammy - but in a Locost Caterham it would be fucking magic.

Back