GT30R or GT35R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Well the whole "your rice is slow" thing is finally getting to me.

Id rather not buy a new car...me and this prelude are getting pretty close. Im just getting tired of the guys i know with Camaro SSes gettin all up in my shit. I need this thing turboed and i do not want to go more than 8 PSI (i like my motor). Would it be better to go with the GT30R or the GT35R? I can get the 35 for almost as much, but i dont know if my H22 can handle it or not.

Is there a better choice? Im not planning on keeping the stock internals forever, but it will be June or July before i am able to have my engine worked over.

Originally posted by 2000Si@Sep 25 2005, 11:15 PM
A GT35R is probably going to be a little too small for an H22a.
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

according to what? just tryin' to get your postcount up eh?

i'd get the 35r :thumbsup: . there are less expensive choices that will give you somewhat similar results, but the gt series doesn’t fuck around. the garret gt series is a great line of turbos though, they have incredibly efficient housings and wheels, as well as the ball bearing center section. pretty much as good as it gets. i think that the 35r would be a great street turbo with a h22. won't take too long to spool and will still have great top end... and it'll only get better once you build your motor and run more boost.

i actually thought the 35r might have been too big...glad i ask before i buy. I thought the 30 would have been the best choice. but im pretty sure i can hit 320 crank hp with the 35 at 8psi.

Im quite sure i wont want much more boost....im driving a fwd w/ no differential. Anymore than about 400whp would KILL ME!

Originally posted by 2000Si+Sep 25 2005, 11:50 PM-->
Originally posted by kylemarhx@Sep 25 2005, 11:30 PM
2000Si
@Sep 25 2005, 11:15 PM
A GT35R is probably going to be a little too small for an H22a.

according to what? just tryin' to get your postcount up eh?

i'd get the 35r :thumbsup: . there are less expensive choices that will give you somewhat similar results, but the gt series doesn’t fuck around. the garret gt series is a great line of turbos though, they have incredibly efficient housings and wheels, as well as the ball bearing center section. pretty much as good as it gets. i think that the 35r would be a great street turbo with a h22. won't take too long to spool and will still have great top end... and it'll only get better once you build your motor and run more boost.
[post=560341]Quoted post[/post]​

Well whatever. If he decides he wants more boost, and he will eventually even though he says he won't, he might buy a turbo that can't push that many CFMs when he gets a boost controller to do so with.

But hey, according to you the 35r is absolutely perfect, and you're just one great big fuckin GOD. Right? ;)

nah man, i'm just tryin' to help the guy out and give my oponion.

the 35r will be good to ~600whp. but will still operate very efficienty well under that power range. if you (reikoshea) plan on exceeding 600whp with your built motor in the future, then look into the gt40r. if you don't plan on getting anywhere close to that power later on down the road, then look into the 30r which will give you a quicker spool, but will also top out just over 500whp. if you don't look to make that much, then there are a few gt30 turbos that might be a bit more appropriate for you. what are your goals?

Originally posted by 2000Si@Sep 26 2005, 12:01 AM
I guess I should have addressed this earlier. Make sure before you go jumping at any GT35r that you check the specs on it. It's one of the many different kinds of T3s on the market, you'll want to get one that will suit your needs.

I can't wait to see how much I've just pissed off kyle with his post he's making now, it's funny to piss off people who try to insult you and then give no reasons other than "I think it'll be good for you." :)

i'm obviously not "pissed off". i just don't think it's right for you to jump into a thread on a topic that you have no idea about and give your suggestion spreading mis-information... that's not what these forums are for.

Goal = Beat 2001 Camaro SS using less than 8psi of boost.

Goal 2 = Shove sock into pompus Cheby loving bitch's mouth.

Goal 3 = Buy a 91 (or other out of that gen) Pontiac TA and beat them with there own GM power...in a Pontiac.

Goal 4 = Get my girl back and live happily ever after.

oh and btw. im looking at 2302 without taking into account tuning (dyno time or ECU)

w/ GT35

it was bad information because the gt35r is not too small of a turbo for the H22. going bigger (ie. gt40) and you won't hit full boost 'till ~6k. that makes for a quarter mile and highway monster, but not the funnest street car.

yes, hondas make their power up high and are lacking on the low end. that's why a quick spooling turbo would be so benificial... to put some power down low where it's lacking. it's not like you have a quick spooling turbo and you'll only have power down low, then drop off on the top end... you carry that boost all the way up top to still make huge numbers (600whp in the gt35r's case) up top if wanted.

a larger turbo can obviously still make the same or greater peak power, but won't have nearly as much power under the powerband... which is not good obviously. just think about it man.

yes, a gt28(rs).. for example, would be a great quick spooling turbo for a b16 if you're not looking to get huge peak numbers. but saying that it wouldn't be any good to go from 7psi up to 10+ on that turbo is rediculous, it's still a very efficient turbo well over 10 lbs.

this is why people set a power goal and choose a turbo accordingly... bigger is not always better.

ALL the GT-series garrett turbo's have MANY ranges depending on trim, a/r, wheel sizes, and so forth. some of these turbines have 1.0 + a/rs on the turbine... so keep that in mind.

The gt35R is VERY similar to the t3/t67 that full race sells, minus the ball-bearing stuff. it will easily make 600 whp. too small for an h22? james, seriously, do some research before posting if you don't know...

gt35 running 8 psi isn't even in its efficiency range.
http://www.atpturbo.com/root/maps/gt35r.htm
its a horrible match.

if you want a GT series that will support you both stock, and later whn built, i'd suggest the 3071R
http://www.atpturbo.com/root/maps/gt3071r.htm

thanks b...thats what i thought.

I have no idea how much air my H22 flows, so i could never really read the charts.

If i use crome or hondata will i have to upgrade injectors, or can i do that when i build up the engine later?

your stock injectors are good for stock horsepower levels. they are at about 90% duty cycle as it is from the facotry. they can go about 15 more hp than stock at stock fuel pressures before you start hitting limitations and hicups from over duty cycle.

where would you guys buy injectors...summitracing.com does lbs per hour and andys doesnt have specs or is too high.

so reiko, have you started your buildup yet? i'll be in the h22 game pretty soon, and i want to boost but it'll prolly be a long time comin. i was lookin at gt30's, so keep us posted on your progress.

its gonna be some time...i havent been able to get my car inspected cause it has no muffler and it had a CEL. I have to get that taken care of (and the tickets i have) beforer i can start my build up.

Back