H22 into honda accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I haven't even messed with a manual axle to know the difference. All I've heard is that the Accord and Prelude shafts are the same. I'm sure that it matters from manual to auto.

My auto shafts have a locking ring on the transmission side teeth. The teeth don't grab, but the locking ring is kinda springy. Don't booger up the teeth, or you'll have to spend hours fixing them.

Finally, I got the car started and going. I had to change the ignition control module and the core. I was driving it, but the car felt like it almost had a flat tire as i was driving it over 30km/h. Im pretty sure i'm having some axle-compatibility problem. I bought a rebuilt axle for the h22 (93 prelude) engine for the driver's side. When i got the engine, it was possible the supplier gave me a shitty axle or one that is not compatable for the passenger side...

Does this sound like an axle problem?

Should i try and use an accord axle (My boot was ripped on the passenger side, but i ll try to see if it works anyways)?

Help please!

Originally posted by tab@May 13 2005, 08:07 PM
I haven't even messed with a manual axle to know the difference. All I've heard is that the Accord and Prelude shafts are the same. I'm sure that it matters from manual to auto.

My auto shafts have a locking ring on the transmission side teeth. The teeth don't grab, but the locking ring is kinda springy. Don't booger up the teeth, or you'll have to spend hours fixing them.
[post=498978]Quoted post[/post]​

they all have that c clip on them to hold them in the tranny....can be a bitch sometimes to when trying to get them out....Ive had a few stubborn ones before

1) Is there something really important i need to know about the auto tensioner?

back to the original post...

i have heard some people have had MAJOR failures with the auto tensioner...

they advise to switch to the manual tensioner to avoid failure...

anyone with any thoughts on this?

and the shaking doesn't strike me as an axle problem...
check for binding, but i think the source is elsewhere...

I havent had any problems with the auto tensioner except for the fact that if you go to a shop that doesnt specialize in Hondas they will probably screw up your tensioner. I talked to a guy that went to christian brothers in dallas and they disconnected the tensioner completely and ended up screwing it up when they reconnected it. The choice is yours, if you dont have your car worked on in a specialty shop, then have the manual one installed...i have the necissary parts listed in another form. If you got to an import shop or a honda only shop/dealership then keep the auto tensioner, youll be okay.

How did we get onto autotensioners lol? No, that's all good. I just used a twist tie; i talked to a honda technician in my city before i did it though. My car still shakes when i drive over 30kh/hour. I think its a drive shaft. I have to go and borrow a 35 mill socket from Canadian Tire tomorrow haha. Tab, whtas your diagnosis on this type of shaking?? The driver's side axle is a new one, but the passenger side one was just some axle i got from the engine distributor where i grabbed my h22 from.

Originally posted by saleem837@May 27 2005, 12:14 AM
How did we get onto autotensioners lol? No, that's all good. I just used a twist tie; i talked to a honda technician in my city before i did it though. My car still shakes when i drive over 30kh/hour. I think its a drive shaft. I have to go and borrow a 35 mill socket from Canadian Tire tomorrow haha. Tab, whtas your diagnosis on this type of shaking?? The driver's side axle is a new one, but the passenger side one was just some axle i got from the engine distributor where i grabbed my h22 from.
[post=504189]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, "shaking" isn't a very precise measurement or a completely accurate description. I'd really have to hear, feel, or drive the car. I'd rule out suspension, unless you have loose parts. I would check your inner and outer tie rod ends, wheel bearings and axle nuts, the steering rack, cracks in the wheels, loose lugnuts, or for something like an axle or wheel way off balance. Also, make sure you don't have a flat spot on any tire from being locked up and burned down on one side.

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks, ya im hoping its just the axle or something small, and nothing engine or transmission related. I hope this topic goes to show that unless youre a swap pro like Tab, it's a good idea to take your car to a honda technician for the fine tuning when you're finished the swap. I just dropped my car off there and the starter went (laughin and cryin at the same time). Im going to let them sort out the rest of it. I ll let you know the news on Monday.

Thanks, but I'm not a pro. I'm a guy like you with a two year jump start in the Honda game.

Live and learn man, that's all.

Back