H22 Vs. H23

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XZILER8

I have a '93 prelude Si which obviously has the h23.

It has 130k miles on it now. It runs surprisingly strong and I have had zero problems with it to date.

My question is this... Should I keep the h23, build it up and throw a turbo on it, or should I drop some money on a h22 and continue saving money and eventually build that up.

performance mods that I have done so far are: I/H/E , cam gears, MSD SCI, fuel rail, and fuel pressure regulator.

I have had no issues racing the majority of what's out there, but I always want more.

I've seen a built h23 that put out 585 whp so I know my engine is capable, but is a h22 worth the money to have a 30hp jump start?

Right now, I'm leanin towards keepin the h23 and buildin it up. However I would like to hear your opinions on what route to take....

Thanks in advance

I've been throwing questions around on the H23 for quite some time here. IMHO you should

rebuild the engine for boost

make a call to turbonetics

consider world domination

I THINK!!!!! that the H23 might be the best platform for honda boost made (that's just what I can gather)

opinion based on (wide gears+closed deck+non V-tec+stupid big turbo kit=Owned like a mopho!!!)

dude i think the VTEC head of the H22 fits the H23! i wanted to do that. that would be the bomb! 2.3 VTEC power!!! all you need is a VTEC h22 head and comp box! then build from there! more HP to everyone!

How sure are you that teh h22 head bolts on to the h23 block?

I actually considered doing that last year, but was told that it's a very complicated swap and a LOT of machine work is involved to make it fit properly (whether or not that's B.S. ? I don't know)

That would be really nice though!

If it does fit, anybody know what a H22 head would cost? (Approximately)

Thanks

P.S. I also heard somewhere that the h22 doesn't hold boost all that well and that they tend to blow. Again, I don't know if that's B.S. or not.

Build the H23 for boost, no sense in paying an extra two grand for VTEC.

The H22 head fits on an H23 block with a similar amount of work to an LS/VTEC setup. In my opinion, you'd only want to do this if you want to stay n/a.

The H22 doesn't hold boost well because it's got a fairly high compression ratio from the start. 10.2:1 USDM, 10.6:1 JDM. The H23 sits around a 9.5:1 (I think), which is much more boost-friendly.

Back