H22A balancer belt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondarin

Please enter a value using 50 characters or fewer.
VIP
just got an h22 for my 92 accord. my dad is swapping it himself since i'm at college (which is a 9 and a half hour drive from where the car is). anyway, the engine is gonna be switched from a hydraulic tensioner to manual one via a parts list in an article in honda tuning magazine where they put an h22 in a civic. in the h22/civic article, they also removed the balancer belt to "free up some ponies" and my dad is wondering whether he should do the same thing or just buy a new belt and replace it. i told him that the balancers are mostly to keep the engine steady at idle, and that people with 2.5L daytonas used to disable the balancers all the time without ill side-effects (besides a little more vibration at idle, of course).

so, those of you with h22 swaps, did you disable your balancers, and if you did, have there been any ill side-effects; how's the car running and how many miles have you put on it?

thanks for any help. :)

I kept my balancers and replaced the belts. I figured that it was not only for passenger comfort, but also to try to dampen engine vibration which could lead to premature engine failure.

As for disconnecting the belts....I was under the impression that it wasn't that easy. In other words, you had to buy some sort of conversion kit or something along those lines. You'd probably have to research it a little more, though.

I kept my balancers and replaced the belts. I figured that it was not only for passenger comfort, but also to try to dampen engine vibration which could lead to premature engine failure.

:werd:

for the same reasons... i thought it was more to maintain an equilibrium(sp) on the internals of the engine...

:werd: That's the easy belt to change. Just change it.

Originally posted by tab@Sep 12 2005, 06:01 PM
[post=553315]Quoted post[/post]​

okay, that's what i'll tell the old man then

Originally posted by tab@Sep 12 2005, 07:01 PM
[post=553315]Quoted post[/post]​

h22 euro R removed balace shafts now has about 50k on it they were removed at around 20k

motor dynoed at 208 and 157 about 1000 miles ago... I have hasport mounts and no shaft in a CX civic so my car vibrates a decient amount but it it hauls ass =)

okay, i have another question: what size shielded audio wire do you reccomend to use for wiring in vtec and the knock sensor?

i didn't want to start a new thread and take up more space, so i just put my question here.

thank you once again

i think i used 20 gauge, but mine is still going off, so i dont think you should listen to me.

I used the only kind that they had at radio shack.

It's really thin, so I twisted the two wires inside togeter into one wire at each end.

Back