h22a4 in a 96 accord...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

outkastcd5

i'm new on this board and i need some help. did a few searches but no luck. so here goes. i'm swapping a 98 h22a4 into my 96 accord lx auto. i'm in california so i want to stay obd2 and auto. i already have the longblock, gonna use the h23 auto tranny i have on the car, and a 97 p5m prelude auto ecu. i was gonna swap a few weeks but i'm gonna delay it till if figure out the problem with the ecu. on saturday, i plugged up the p5m just to see if it'll run. it does run, but it doesn't shift, just stays in fourth gear. so i'm guessing that the 97+ preludes have a tcm that controls the tranny, but i'm not sure. do anyone here know? thanks.

Originally posted by outkastcd5@Jul 27 2004, 02:50 AM
i'm new on this board and i need some help. did a few searches but no luck. so here goes. i'm swapping a 98 h22a4 into my 96 accord lx auto. i'm in california so i want to stay obd2 and auto. i already have the longblock, gonna use the h23 auto tranny i have on the car, and a 97 p5m prelude auto ecu. i was gonna swap a few weeks but i'm gonna delay it till if figure out the problem with the ecu. on saturday, i plugged up the p5m just to see if it'll run. it does run, but it doesn't shift, just stays in fourth gear. so i'm guessing that the 97+ preludes have a tcm that controls the tranny, but i'm not sure. do anyone here know? thanks.
[post=368613]Quoted post[/post]​

The ECU section says that you need a P2P. Are you talking about the TCM(transmission control module), or the ECU?

[/quote]

The ECU section says that you need a P2P. Are you talking about the TCM(transmission control module), or the ECU?
[post=369157]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

i have the p5m auto ecu, which is from a 97 prelude w/ auto tranny. the p2p is the type s ecu and it's only for manual cars. i'm trying to stay street legal and i need to find out if the 97+ preludes have a tcu along with the ecu and it's not built in.

the h22a4 comes with a manual cause the a4 has this little black box for the gears so if your gonna use this motor you have to use the manual tranny the automatic ecu won't work

Not true. The H22A4 from the Type SH only comes with a manual tranny (ATTS equipped), but there are plenty of H22A4's from base model Preludes that came with the tiptronic auto transmissions.

No worries, that's what we're here for. :)

That, and to make sure I don't work too much while I'm at work.

I haven't touched OBD2, but all the OBD 1 automatic trannies have a TCU.

The ECU is specifically automatic or manual, and has to match. Then the TCU controls the shift points, etc.

I'm sorry, but I don't know.

thanks for the response guys...i just dug some more and i found out that the 97+ preludes that are automatic has a tcm so i gotta find me one. any 5th gen preludes out there do a auto to manual swap and got it laying around anywhere?

Originally posted by outkastcd5@Jul 28 2004, 10:34 PM
thanks for the response guys...i just dug some more and i found out that the 97+ preludes that are automatic has a tcm so i gotta find me one. any 5th gen preludes out there do a auto to manual swap and got it laying around anywhere?
[post=369569]Quoted post[/post]​

Just as a tip, I'm still using my accord TCU with my prelude engine and prelude tranny. The only problem is you'll have to shift the car manually to rev it up to it's true redline. I shift manually at 7600 rpm, but if I just leave it in drive, it would shift itself at 6200 rpm. It still thinks the F22 is there with a redline that is lower.

If it's not the ATTS shit, then you could maybe use an Accord TCU to get you by for a while.

The Accord TCU keeps the women and friends from fucking up my car. I do that, no one else. :lol:

I don't think that he could use the accord tcu because i believe on obd2 accords it is built into the ecu, atleast it was on my accord when i did my auto to manual swap it only had an ecu no seperate tcu.

hey whatup? where in california are you? is your username the same as on H.Society? need help with the swap? holla at me, i'll give you a hand.
thats if your not hella far from me,

peace,.....

im located in petaluma, bout 45 north of S.F

Back