h22a4 vtec wiring issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fonztheman

i don't know what engine was in my lude originally, but i just put a 98 h22a4 motor in it and I'm wondering, where do i plug the vtec wire in at. i don't have a connector and i believe the wire is green. any or all info will help thanks

What year is the Prelude? If it's a 98+ then the wiring should be there. All the 98+ Ludes have H22s from the factory.

If you're swapping into the 92-96 chassis, then you may have to add the VTEC wiring. Not all of the cars from that generation had VTEC from the factory.

it is a 96 lude and yes that's my question how do i and where does it go I'm new to the whole import scene and want it to run right also would i hace to do anything to the ecu

Check out Rywire - Online Store

They make custom wiring harnesses for Honda motor swaps. What you need is an OBD2 motor to OBD1 chassis conversion harness. You'll also need a VTEC sub-harness. They can do all of that for you.

I'd contact them and explain what you're trying to do. They can probably just build you a complete swap harness that will solve the OBD conversion and VTEC wiring issues all at once.

are you sure my car isnt obd2 already my harness fit the motor just fine the motor runs and everything the only problem i have is the knock sensor broke so im picking one up today. and the other issue is i need to know how to hook up vtec

Ah, yeah, you're right, if it's a 96 then it's OBD2 already. Sorry, I missed when you said that. Yeah, I would just get the VTEC sub-harness from Rywire then. It should be all you need. You can also run the VTEC wires yourself, it's not that hard, but Rywire's harness is plug n' play, and it only costs $65.

Here, check this out: Rywire - Online Store

You might want to contact them first though, and tell them you're swapping a 4th-gen motor into a 3rd-gen chassis, just in case there's anything else you need to add.

Last edited:
i just ran the wires for vtec myself. do you have a service manual? if you search around you can find the wiring diagrams for the ECU. i ran the signal wire from the pressure sensor (near the vtec solenoid) into the car and to the ECU pin D6 and then the vtec solenoid signal from the yellow/green wire at the 1 pin connector on the vtec solenoid to the ECU pin A4.

i have a h22a in my 93 prelude that is OBD1 so im not sure if the OBDII prelude motors are different, but id guess the process is at least pretty similar.

I can make you a v-tec sub harness if you happen to be interested.

Heres my V-tec sub harness (p-n-p) Plug-n-play no cutting required.... This is a OBD-0 B16 v-tec sub harness I also make OBD-1.
V-tecsubharnessnewpic.jpg

how much and can you make it for obd2

how much and can you make it for obd2

I got a 96 2dr accord. It has an h22a4 swap I dont know who did it nor the kid who i got it from. He left the stock ecu in it the stock accord was vtech sohc. he gave me the p13 ecu told me i had to get obd2 to one adapter. I am learning and am a nooby. but I didn't need the adapter harness. Now So I just plugged it in and it ran alot fast cause it wasn't thinking it was sohc vtech anymore. So am I good or would I be able to notice right of the bat that I need to re pin some shit. Of course the iac valve issue witch ive read alot about. I am getting the codes read in the morning. it has a m2y4 tranny. and their is a red wire coming out of the harness not hooked up, anyone??
Help me out hear i need some input
Thanks
the noob lol;)

Back