Hard to Start , sometimes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alexfleury

I have a stock 1991 Civic EX. The car has a history of sometimes not wanting to start. Have had all the grounds cleaned at a shop that was familiar with the problem. This seemed to fix the problem for awhile. Recently had the alternator replaced just a few months ago. This seemed to fix the problem for awhile.

The incident when the alternator was replaced happened like this. Drove the car a few blocks, it had been running normally for months. Got in it, hit the starter, the motor turned over well, engine would not start. This has happened before. At seemingly random times. Got the car to the shop, where they said it did start, but they checked and found a bad alternator.

Yesterday I was replacing a sub speaker in the trunk. Had the sound system on for awhile with the engine not running. Got in the car and it started OK. Drove about 5 miles to the store. When I got to the store, tried to crank it again to get a beter parking spot. Wouldn't start!! Let it sit for about 5 mins, with all electrics off and it started, once, then wouldn't start again right then. Did my shopping came out and it started fine.

SO my question is this. Can a Honda have enough voltage to spin the motor normally, but the actual battery voltage be too low for the engine to fire? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks
Alex

I will

Taking it to AutoZone right now to have battery and charging system checked.

BUT the battery will spin the motor and at what seems like normal speed.

Gonna buy or order a manual too. Is one kind of manual any better than the others?

Alex

sounds like your main fuel relay. a lot of guys have experienced this problem recently, now that it's getting warmer out. the solder points inside the relay crack/split and cause it to intermittently fail to start up. When you turn the car to run but without cranking it you should hear the main relay click on, and also the fuel pump kick on. two seconds later the relay will click off and the fuel pump also will shut off. if when turning to run you don't hear the relay turning on and then back off again, then you know the relay is the issue. obviously since this is an intermittent issue you may have to do this a couple times to see if you can get it to fail.

Checking Main Relay, with pics!!! - Honda-Tech

WOW thanks Hatch. Vtec, the battery and charging system checked good.

I still think I might have just run the battery a little too low. This car doesn't have a battery much bigger than my bike and I 40x4 watts in the car and 800 watts in the trunk. I'll just be careful about making too many short trips in row and running the stereo without the motor on.

Believe me next time I have strarting probs I WILL do the fuel relay test that Hatch posted!!

Thanks Guys

Alex

Yeah I second the main fuel realay, after they run for a few minutes it gets warm and wont restart, let it cool for a few minutes and it will start again. Replace it before it leaves you stranded!

You can take off the main relay and re-solder the points. It's extremely easy to do. Just remove the main relay, take the circuit board out so you can see the points, look at them REALLY closely, preferebly a magnifying glass, find the cracked ones, heat them up with a soldering iron, use some copper wire to remove the solder, then re-solder those points, and good as new.

OK I'm stupid, WHERE is the main relay. Fortunately I DO know how to solder.

I'm working on a coule of other electrical problems, so I'll take care of this too.

There is also the possibility that it may be the ignition switch... I had a similar problem where it was the ignition switch that was wearing out...

Back