Head Distributor Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jtornado

From what I was told by my Honda Master Technician is that it doesn't matter if you put an OBD1 or OBD2 head on your block it only matters if its an OBD0, OBD1 or OBD2 Distributor. For example: I could put an OBD2 head on an OBD1 Block with an OBD1 Distributor, if I wanted OBD1. I always thought if you put an OBD2 head on any block you will need an OBD2 harness. So basically he is telling me whatever your going make sure its the right distributor otherwise it doesn't matter what head.

it is true that the heads will interchange between OBD0, OBD1 and OBD2 engines - the problem comes in when you try to get the proper distributor - for instance, the OBD2 D16Y8 VTEC head will bolt onto any of the D-series blocks, but the OBD1 SOHC VTEC distributor, which is for a D16Z6, will not bolt onto the D16Y8 head - it has different bolt pattern - same thing if you were to use the OBD1 D16Z6 head on the OBD2 D16Y8 engine and want to run it OBD2, the OBD2 distributor won't bolt on - if you wanted to run a SOHC VTEC head on an OBD0 engine and run it OBD0 with some kind of VTEC controller (i would recommend not doing this) the better head choice (as far as getting the distributor to work) would be the D16Y8 head because the OBD0 distributor will bolt onto the Y8 head, but it won't bolt onto the Z6 head

okay well my plan is bolting on the ls head to my ls block but your it shouldn't matter what year head just make sure the distributor will bolt on right. I want to be OBD-1, so could the obd-1 distributor bolt on the obd-2 ls head???

Back