head gasket blew on rebuilt motor!!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

auditt225

So I completely rebuilt my motor from bottom to top and I used all brand new good parts except the head gasket. I knew I shouldnt have got if off of ebay but I need. Anyway the car overheated and it was the head gasket. My question is I want to clean the crude off of the top of the block. What can I use to do that? Sand paper? Also when I install the new head gasket do I use the copper spray? Just let me know thanks

cant always trust ebay, head gasket blew after rebuild... wow thats horrible man. Use like gunk foamy engine clean, and high preasure water spray for the crude, i dont know about the copper spray though, try replacing the gasket with dealer gasket unless you bored out your block.

Headgasket shouldn't have caused the overheating. You might want to look into your cooling system. The engine was fresh, word, what about the radiator? Did you replace the water pump as well? Also, did you reuse the headbolts or install fresh ones? The more info you provide the better we are equipped to figure it out.

Everything was fresh, new arp headstuds,new waterpump, radiator was fine. I really do think its the cheap head gasket so i ordered one from acura. We will see on monday how it works out.Wish me luck

i swear by the coper spray. nice this even layer, let it tack and install.

but i know many people who dont use it. so its up to the person and type of gasket you buy.

I always plug the cooling lines etc. with paper towels when i pull my engine out. Always make sure you take them all out! =P

I've never used any spray with an OEM headgasket.. but you should check the cylinder head now that it overheated and make sure it isn't warped..

Use a gasket scraper to clean off the block surface, and scotch brite pads if you can't get it all off with the scraper. Don't use sandpaper it is too abrasive unless you get a very fine grade.. you don't want to be taking off any metal from the block surface..

Back