Header overheating problem!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

killingspree27

So i just put on new aftermarket header i had just purchased last night. After installation i started it up to make sure things were good... But seriously within the first 10 seconds of being on the headers get so hot you cant even touch them. Now i did not have the 02 sensor in but i just really doubt it would cause it to do that within that short of a time period. Also it started to smoke, but im guessing that one would be normal because of grease and such touching it before hand. IF it is the 02 sensor i will just replace it and be happy :) but the old stock headers before never did this. I would love help with this because i really would not like my teggy to die.

Of course it gets so hot that you can't touch it. Its a header. There are exhaust gases flowing through it.

Your fucking kidding, right? Youre surprised that you cant touch an exhaust component on your car while its running? You think your car might not be running right with an 02 sensor not in place?

moron.jpg

I'll be nice, even though I hope you're trolling.

The exhaust manifolds purpose is to move exhaust gas out of the engine and into the exhaust to be expelled from the car. The gas comes from inside the engine, so it is extremely hot. The stock manifold is cast, so it may not feel as hot, while most aftermarket are a thinner stainless meant to direct flow better. The gas makes the pipes so hot, it will burn off any hand oils, coolant or oil on the header. Also, many headers have collectors coated in a gel to help prevent rust while sitting and shipping. This can burn off.

Headers get hot. You need your 02 sensor.

Start there.

Back