Headlight problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Smonkeyboy

k... so this winter i slid around a corner, and broke out one of my corner lenses, and broke the filiment in my pass headlight bulb. soo i replaced the headlight bulbs, and the passenger side was really dim, like really dim, and i wasnt too worried about it because the drivers side one worked just fine.... but now the drivers one went dim too. dimmer than the pass side, and i have no idea whats wrong. like wayy dimmer than the foglights, and even the corner lights, check the pics. the bulbs are maybe 2mo old and are pretty nice bulbs. fuses are still intact so could it be a relay or something? or am i really fuxored and gonna need new headlight wiring?

gallery_109_337_134729.jpg

gallery_109_337_30608.jpg

any help would be great

how long has it been like this, and how long ago did you bust your filiment? you might of have shorted out your wires, but not sure. change your drivers side bulb, if not thats, check your wires for loose connections or striped wires. good luck

i busted the filiment in the pass bulb in january, and the pass side has been dim since i got new bulbs, and i just noticed the drivers side one.... 10-15 days ago.

i changed both bulbs when i did, they are both new, also, i still had a nother bulb from a while ago, and same dim garbage.

then its your wires, either thats or your relays. good luck

my del sol does the same thing. the front bumper is also cracked so it rear ended someone. first it was one dim light, then they both went dim, then I tried to fuck with the wires and now one of them is fine and the other stopped working completely :bash:

Would bad grounds cause that problem as well? Possibly a ground came loose some how?

Originally posted by Drake@May 19 2005, 02:54 PM
Would bad grounds cause that problem as well? Possibly a ground came loose some how?
[post=501374]Quoted post[/post]​

typically a bad ground would cause a flicker in your headlights, or anything with a bad ground for that matter, understand that a bad ground can mean many things, either the wire is bad, or your connections are bad, or they are corroded, but if your headlights are just sitting at dim, thats usually a sign that your are losing power somwhere in between the fuse and the headlight, check your wires, and your relays, aslo try checking the connections, if you took a turn and slid, you may have just knocked a wire loose in the headlight circuit.

not to bring this back from the dead, but i have more pics to add, and more info......

when my headlights worked before if i were to switch to my brights my foglights would turn off, and now when i flip my brights on my fogs stay on, would this be more a sign of wiring or the relay??? that, and the drivers side which is dimmer on the lobeams still works on the high beams???? WTF?

pic of low beams with fogs on
gallery_109_333_8161.jpg

pic of high beams with fogs STILL on
gallery_109_333_34078.jpg

sorry bud, but you have wiring issues, sometimes wires can go bad, start from your headlights and look at all the wires up to the fuse box, and see if you can't find the problem, did you ever repace the relays, or have you just left the issue since may?

If I were you, I would yank out the head lights so you have plenty of room to look around. Check ALL of the wiring from the headlights back. Check for the loose grounds mentioned earlier. Look for smashed harnesses, loose wires, etc. Even if the wires are still inside the harness, they could have been smashed.

Also, you might go down to the junk yard and pull a lighting harness with relays and everything still attatched. Then you know you will solve the problem.

Back