Help, ASAP...OBD1 LS swap into an OBD2 harness/car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NickW

Hey guys, I finally registered on this site. I've been readin quite abit, but never registered until right now. I frequent Honda-Tech alot also. But I do have some questions for you all.

Here's the setup:
96 Civic EX coupe Awaiting a JDM B18b LS swap that is OBD1. I've already got the motor and tranny mounts that are needed for the swap, I also have everything needed like the Jumper Harness, ECU, Axles, ETC. But here's my problem, I know there us a issue with the distributer wiring. What needs to be done??? I really have no clue. Can I use a OBD2 LS dizzy? A OBD1 Dizzy that comes with it? Do I need to rewire it? Repin it? After I get this issue cleared up we will be gin swapping. I have everything needed and everything is ready to go except for this issue.

Cliff Notes:
How to make the dizzy work on a OBD2 -> OBD1 motor conversion?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks, I forgot to mention I am using my EX harness. It comes with a dizzy, just needs a new cap and rotor. Any other helpful hints would be much appreciated.

you can use either an obd1 or obd1 distrubotor.

electronically, they are identical. the plug on them is different, however. obd2 uses 1 big plug, obd1 uses 1 modeium plug and 1 small plug.

you can simply cut/paste the wires in their exact position onto the obd2 harness to mate to the obd1 dizzy, assuming your swap came with the harness.

you could just get an obd1 distributor, and sell the obd2, or however else you want to do it- but you MUST retain your cars ex harness. 96-98 civics are wired differently than every other generation

Back