Help choosing B16b stroked to B18C5 or B20/B18C5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Escabar

Hi there guys. I am in a bit of a dilemma here. I have two options at present. One is to stroke my B16B Type-R engine to B18C5 by changing the crank and rods or getting an already assembled engine which has a stock B20 block mated with a B18C5 ITR head. My goal really is to have a fast drag car. I wanted to go with the B20, that way I would have a spare engine with the B16B. However, this car is going to be a daily driver. I am concerned about the strength of the B20 block and its inability to rev high (although I would be satisfied if I could rev it to 8200 RPM). Which one will I get the better times out of. Which one will I have more potential with? Which one will allow future mods? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Alright, so you asked a bunch of questions. You need to focus on your goal here. You want a really fast drag car, that is really reliable because you want to drive it every day. Now, you must realize that this can only be done with high quality parts, which cost alot of money.

The b16b is a very high revving, torqueless motor.
The b20/vtec is a very versatile build when done right.

Personally, I would do a b20/vtec build. Plenty of torque, and lots of potential. I have seen b20vtec hatches that run low 13's with full interior, and on street tires. All motor. Replace the rod bolts at LEAST, and you should be ok with the reliability.

i agree...

also, when you dyno youll see were the cams stop making power and you can tune to either the best hp or the best tq curves.

rs machine makes cast 84mm R replica pistons.

some would just do the b20 with skunk IM/TB and crane/comp cams for an LS. its a great alternative to revving high vtec cams. youll get most of the power/tq-hp lower in the rpm range.

Yeah, in all honesty you could even go LS/VTEC and still be one happy camper. All that might involve is changing your bottom end for an LS bottom end. I'd build the bottom for 8k+ rpms first though. Do the same (or make sure its already built) with the B20. You dont want to do all the work getting it into the car, then have it come apart the first time you have it over 7500 rpms.

Back