Help: Clicking while Turning on B16A/LSD in LS Teg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

R6Elmo

Hello guys/gals,

My friend is having this problem and i appreciate any help or leads.

It's basically a JDM B16A2 with LSD in a 94 Integra LS. When teh car is in gear and turning, there is a loud clicking sound that is constant.

But when teh car is in neutral and turning, there is no problem. Any thoughts? Could this be from the LSD? would a different tranny help?

Thanks

Danny

Thanks for the reply. Is this a common problem? Also, what axles can i or can't i use to replace it? Any B16/b18 axle? Thanks

Danny

Yeah, it can be a fairly common problem. As for which axle, I am not positive but I would go with the axle for that particular car. It should work. Someone correct that if it is wrong.

Isnt it CV joints if you hear click while turning?

What kind of LSD do you have. I think that clutch LSDs make clicking noises. Or is that gear?

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Jul 23 2003, 07:31 PM
cv joint = axle... same thing, you wouldnt want to just buy the CV joint because if its clicking its already gone.

Yeah once you hear the clicking the axle is gone. Look under the car, which ever one is leaking grease and has a torn boot, that is the one that is causing the clicking. If both are torn then change both. Do it ASAP, the axles run a good chance of breaking at high speeds.

Thanks for the help fellas. I'll give the salvage yards a call for the axles. I believe they run roughly $100/piece used. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I could get axles for either the 99+ civic SI or the USDM GSR.

The LSD is a stock LSD fro the b16a2 motor. I beleive some of them came with LSD in japan.

Danny

even new they are cheap after the core refund,I piss em away all the time the cause for me is spinning the tires while the wheel is turned...very hard on the cv-joint.we do alot of dirt "racing" where I live and I need new axels every 3 months or so...do yourself,easy

Clutch LSDs make a lot of noise. I thought the clicking sound in my CRX was the axles, then pulled out the axles and they were perfect. I dumped the transmission fluid, then filled it back up with a tube of Trans-X PosiTraction LSD lube and topped it off with Honda MTF, and the noise went away.

Can you feel the clicking through the car like someone is hammering on the floorboards with a mallet?

From what my friend told me:

WHen turning, everytime it clicks, you can feel it. When it clicks while turning, it tries to turn the steering towards center, and he has to force it into the turn.

I guess from that..does it mean it's the drive-axles?

Danny

Originally posted by R6Elmo@Jul 23 2003, 11:35 PM
From what my friend told me:

WHen turning, everytime it clicks, you can feel it. When it clicks while turning, it tries to turn the steering towards center, and he has to force it into the turn.

I guess from that..does it mean it's the drive-axles?

Danny

differentials

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Jul 23 2003, 11:55 PM
differentials

Thanks man...that now all of a sudden sounds more expensive than driveshafts hehe.

Danny

Another way to tell if the axle is bad is to grab the axle and try to move it in and out. It should only have a .100" of play. I had a problem similar to that in my corolla and I could move the axle in and out by like, .5" and everytime I would move the axle it would make a clunk sound.

Thanks, i'll check up on moving the axle back and forth. I'm fearful it could be the differential as someone else pointed out. If that was the case, it would cost a lot mroe as well as take more time.

Hopefully it's just the axle as that's and easier fix.

Danny

It sounds like it's your LSD. Try changing out the transmission fluid like I did, and throw some PosiTrac LSD additive in it.

Thanks for the reply Calesta. Hopefully that will help out. But i'm curiosu if before hand, yuor car car had the same symptoms as i decribed above? With the harsh steering, and you can feel the clicks?

Danny

Yes, it had the same symptoms. That's why I asked you if you were experiencing the same ones.

:)

I agree with calesta, if it was the axles it would not go away if it was out of gear, it would always click when you turn, i had experienced the same exact problem when i did a swap on a 93 hatch , put in the LSD additive and it fixed the problem.

Back