Help! H23 questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92LClude

I've recently got the deal of a lifetime..or so I thought. I purchased an H23 engine, trans, ecu, and harness for $500. The head already has new valves, seals, and a valve job. The block has been machined and cylinder walls have been bored 40 over. According to everyone else there is a problem with those sleeves and I have to have it resleeved in order to put aftermarket pistons in. If true, this kindof sucks because I was planning on building it myself without incurring the costs of aftermarket sleeves. I'm not wanting to build a 700 hp prelude...just something with a little more kick. Please let me know everything that can be done to avoid the costs of sleeves if possible. Thanks

that is 100% true. the only ways around it are mahle pistons (not confirmed to work yet) and oem pistons.

Well, I guess I can be one of the first to find out. I have a cousin that works for Mahle in Morristown, TN. I guess I need to get ahold of him and find out how I can get a set to try them. I was just reading up on the different types of coatings they make though and I dunno. We'll see I guess. I'm also looking at race engineering about cost for darton sleeves. Anyways..thanks for the reply. Anything else you think of please let me know..I'm relatively new to Honda engines. Thanks again.

yeah preludes and NSXs are the only ones with those frm sleeves and really, it looks like youre hard pressed to find many forumites that have more knowledge about the H-series than me and tab (not saying people dont know more, cause i KNOW there are hundreds that do, they just dont write articles or post in forums...they just make money). If you search through the prelude section and the hybrid bb section there is a lot of good info.

Most of the engines that have blown with mahle pistons look like people believe the hype of "Out of the box" performance. If you replace even oem pistons and dont hone the walls, your gonna run into the same problems ive seen with the mahle's. apparently, there is a guy on h-t that is running mahle's and he is at the 10k mark with no issues (he bored and honed the block).

Thanks for all the help man. I got on the phone with Darton and they have a series of Dry install sleeves called the 300 series and they are only like...$285 I think he said for the set of 4. They will handle up to 20psi of boost before needing to be upgraded. For the time being I don't plan on running more than that but he said that in the even I would like to upgrade they are easily upgradable to the MID kit to make lots more power. Again thanks for the help. I'll start getting pictures of everything during the build.

Back