Help me decide on new tires

What ones????

• Kumho MX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Potenza

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i know its not on the list of choices but what about the goodyear Eagle F-1 GSD-3s?
the ones w/ the cool tread design

I ended up going with the azenies. Had them put on yesterday. I love them. They feel a little more stable then my so3's. My s03's would offer alot of intial turn in grip, but would allow to much oversteer. Basicly they would slide under hard loads. With my azeines, they hold the road much better. My car feels so nuetreal right now. I'll let everyone know how they do at Gingerman Raceway this friday.

Dry, Azenis > S-03. They have stiffer sidewalls and better grip. Wet, S-03 > Azenis. I still want to see how your Azenis do under repeated hot lapping.

:)

i Don't know mike. At least on my slightly smaller sidewall of my 195-50-15's so3's, those side walls were stiff as hell. At autocrosses, I could run them at 35-37 psi, and my tire roll over pretty much just wasn't there.

Really? I still feel more responsive on Azenis than on S-03s, but not by very much. Then again, I've never done a direct comparison between the two tires on the same car.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 14 2004, 11:56 AM
Really? I still feel more responsive on Azenis than on S-03s, but not by very much. Then again, I've never done a direct comparison between the two tires on the same car.

responsive yes, but in sidewall constrution, I say that the s03's have the azenies beat, just the rubber compound of the azenis is just softer.

but for double the cost?

they aren't worth it. you made a good choice.

Also, I have to mention that mike said about the MX's:

"once they heat up they are as good as the azeni"

usually, you compare against the standard.

'nough said.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jul 14 2004, 11:46 AM-->
@Jul 14 2004, 11:56 AM

responsive yes, but in sidewall constrution, I say that the s03's have the azenies beat, just the rubber compound of the azenis is just softer.

Ah, ok. Like I said, no direct comparion for me, so no clue.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 14 2004, 11:51 AM
but for double the cost?

they aren't worth it. you made a good choice.

Also, I have to mention that mike said about the MX's:

"once they heat up they are as good as the azeni"

usually, you compare against the standard.

'nough said.

Worth double the cost to me... I need wet traction. :)

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 14 2004, 12:53 PM
Worth double the cost to me... I need wet traction. :)

True. However, right now tirerack.com has a special on them in my old size (195-50-15's) for 85 a tire, but then I would have to pay another 40 or so for shipping and another 40 or so for mounting and ballancing, your paying 105 a tire vs the 77 a tire I payed the other day.

so with that being said, to me, it just wasn't worth it. If I were to get the 205-50-15's it would be even more.

Yeah, I get the 205/50 so I have to pay even more- but it's all worth it to me. I don't like having to swap tires all the time for different applications.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 14 2004, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I get the 205/50 so I have to pay even more- but it's all worth it to me. I don't like having to swap tires all the time for different applications.

thats why you buy more than 1 set of wheels, so you just swap the wheels :)

Definitely- that's what I meant- swapping tires all the time really isn't worth the trouble, plus you risk damaging the tires and wheels every time you mount/unmount them.

I never had the cash to go after a set of nice wheels that I wanted... and we don't run winter tires down here, so there's not much need or want to have two different sets of daily driven tires. I'm definitely not going to drive around Houston with a set of wheels in my trunk and then pull over to swap them every time a spontaneous flash flood decides to creep through.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 14 2004, 12:35 AM
I still want to see how your Azenis do under repeated hot lapping.

well just got back from Gingerman Roadcourse, so now I have first had experince with them on the track.

In the morning sessions, I LOVED them. They stuck like glue, and make the car extremly predictible. Later in the day with alot of sun, around 80*, and ZERO wind, I could defently feel the greasiness. During the last few laps of the session (around 20 mintue sessions) I could defently feel the tires start to loose there grip. I was starting to slide around a little, and had a decent amount of oversteer. The lap after I noticed them, the turn that I got a decent about of oversteer in last lap, I had even more, and when I countersteered, it was already too late.

2 feet in, I'm in a spin!

Smokey stop, end up doing my 180, turn around, drove in, ended my session early.

I was using a spray bottle to cool them down, and that seamed to help a little bit.

I wish we had a roadrace course around here... well, there's always hiway 101 but it's lined with trees so you can't see the popos around the corner... :(

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jul 16 2004, 11:58 PM-->
@Jul 14 2004, 12:35 AM
I still want to see how your Azenis do under repeated hot lapping.

well just got back from Gingerman Roadcourse, so now I have first had experince with them on the track.

In the morning sessions, I LOVED them. They stuck like glue, and make the car extremly predictible. Later in the day with alot of sun, around 80*, and ZERO wind, I could defently feel the greasiness. During the last few laps of the session (around 20 mintue sessions) I could defently feel the tires start to loose there grip. I was starting to slide around a little, and had a decent amount of oversteer. The lap after I noticed them, the turn that I got a decent about of oversteer in last lap, I had even more, and when I countersteered, it was already too late.

2 feet in, I'm in a spin!

Smokey stop, end up doing my 180, turn around, drove in, ended my session early.

I was using a spray bottle to cool them down, and that seamed to help a little bit.

Hmm. Maybe I'll try the RA-1s or something. :)

It still sounds like they held up really well for you though! :thumbsup:

haha, nice collin!

i just got back from thunderhill roadcourse, good weekend for a track day. was pretty hot out there, around 95. i ran 100 octane in the car, which she seemed to like. about the MX's, i'll be buying these from now on. i was impressed with how they held up on the track, especially for how hot they were getting. as they get warmer, they get stickier. not once did i notice them start to give at all on me. i'm capturing some incar footage from the weekend, i'll be posting some up in a few days. we'll see how well they hold up after so many heat cycles though, i hear that is a down fall to the khumos. but for the price who cares. Cal, for sure get some R compounds, if you can afford it, wish i could :)

Back