Help with Clutch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RiCe1o5

I have a 1997 Honda civic DX with stock engine manual speed

When I have my car in any gear and at a dead stop and my foot off all pedals the car is still running.normally it would kill the engine at a dead stop. The guy at Midas says i need to change my clutch and trying to charge me $300 for the kit and $400 for labor(I believe this is way over priced... Autozone that part is 115). Is it really my clutch that is shot? or do i need to adjust any thing?

Thx

so you are in gear and do not have the clutch pressed in... the car doesnt move and doesnt stall???

yeah id say that sounds like your clutch is shot
or your shift linkage is not connected and its not actually going into gear :shrug2:

$700 for a shop to do the clutch does not sound out of the normal range
yes you can do it a LOT cheaper if you do it yourself

you will need: a clutch dish, a pressure plate, and you really should either have the flywheel resurfaced or get a new one

if you have the tools, time and ability to do it yourself... then buy the parts and do it up
if not then shop around a bit and see if you can get a lower price... then shell out the cash

thats not a bad price, a clutch is a decent job. plus its not just your disc. look a clutch kit and see what goes in (throw-out, pressure plate, rear main, sometimes linkage, etc.). think of this as a good opportunity for a puck and lightened flywheel :).

i just changed my clutch, it shattered into pieces. Also i had to resurface the flywheel and change the fluid. Thanks guys for the help

Back