Help With Swapped B16 Axleshafts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eric17038

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I've been working on an 89 CRX I bought a few months ago with a B16 motor in it less some incompetent wiring. After fixing the horrible engine wiring that was keeping the car out of VTEC, I've started going over the rest of the car. I recently saw that the driver-side Axle was pretty messed up and needed to be replaced. The question I have is about which axles to use. I'm pretty sure it’s a first gen JDM B16A engine with the matching trans (as it has B16A stamped on it as well). I bought the CV shaft for an 89CRX from the auto parts store and it looks nothing like the axle that’s in the car. The splines look the same size, and they both look to be the same length. However, the one that I removed from the car is a separate half-shaft and outer CV shaft and the part the auto-parts store gave me is one solid shaft from transmission to hub. Did the parts store give me the wrong part, or is there a different axle I should ask for when I take it back? I've read online that this engine was used in cars from the late 80's to early 90's in Japan, so should I be getting the axles from something like a 92+ instead? I'd like to keep the 2 piece axle as I'm afraid the one solid one, although it looks like it would fit, will torque steer much more. Unfortunately the old axle looks like it was impacted by something and probably can’t be rebuilt either.
Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.

eric17038 said:
I bought the CV shaft for an 89CRX from the auto parts store and it looks nothing like the axle that’s in the car.

There's your first mistake.

With a B16A swapped Honda CRX, you need a CV shaft from a 90-93 Acura Integra.

As a special note, I'm pretty sure the intermediate axle is a female on a B16A. BUT, if you intermediate axle has a MALE end, you'll need to get a 94+ Integra GSR axle. I'm 99% sure that the B16A just uses a 90-93 Integra axles.

I think I've got a 90-93 Integra Driver's Side CV shaft in my garage. NIB, never used, 24,000 mile warranty. PM for personal information if you wish to buy. It's a leftover from my B18 LS swap, I didn't realize I had the MALE end because there was still a chunk of axle left on the engine I bought. LOL

Depending on what mounts you have the 90 teg axles can work. I have hasport mounts and the drivers side axle is not the right length off the teg. Why do I know? Because I have it in my car right now and it doesn't quite fit. It vibrates a LOT and is freakin anoying.

Thanks for the hepl guys. I exchanged the CRX CV for a 90 teg CV, and when I got home and finally broke the stuck (really really stuck) axle nut off it turned out I needed the 94+ axle since my old CV shaft was a female. Fortunatly the parts store is just down the street adn they should have it in later today, I guess I should really start taking parts off before I buy the new ones...lol. Now if this rain would only stop I could actually get out and get this finished.

Back