HELP!! ZC Swap into 89 crx HF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rsorich

I have an 89 CRX HF. My motor f*cking sucks!! I have a ZC motor coming in 2 days! Coming with it is a ZC tranny and a ZC ECU. Can anyone tell me what else I am going to need to get to swap in the ZC?? You know like wireharnesses and motor mounts. I just want to get it done in a couple of days. I don't want anything to come up. So if I could just know what ALL I will need before hand that would be great. Things are much easier to get when you have a car that runs to go and pick them up. [/FONT]

to use ZC transmission, you will need knuckles/hubs from a DX or Si and 90-93 integra axles - use the HF engine wiring harness - your HF mounts will be o.k.

Would it be better just to get the engine w/out the tranny, and get a crx Si tranny? Then would I still need Knuckles/hubs and the integra axles?
I'm not quite sure what Knuckles/hubs are. And what would be the best ECU to get. The engine will be here soon but I haven't ordered the ECU or tranny yet. I'm going to build up the engine before installation. Also if you have any semi cheep recomendations for how to build it up please speek up.

I know all to well about ZC's. I've tuned and messewd with them for the last three years. I just blew up my turbo ZC motor and I'm know switchig to B series. First about the trans. YOU WILL NOT see the full potential of your ZC unless you use either a ZC or Si trans PERIOD. I've tried and had Every trans in my car and trust me your ZC will be just as slow as your old HF motor once you hit 3rd gear. Trust me just change the hubs and get custom ZC axles. You already have the trans why take it out for the crappy HF. Yes it will work but you'll hate it. I lost soo many races when I was running my Dx tranny. I ran a 15.9 on my Dx tranny and when I switched to my ZC tranny I was running 15.0 consitent and bever lost to another honda once that trans was in my car. My N/A ZC was modified but it's a night and day difference. Also be sure what ever year trans you get you get the Clutch and flywheel to match. 88' , 89 ' , and 90'-91' all have a different spline count. ALL JDM ZC trans use a 90'-91' clutch and flywheel.

i was going to get the zc drop into my 91 civic hb and i had a friend tell me - "zcs come out of old crx's so it should drop right in with no need for custom engine mounts, hubs, knuckles, tranny." so is he wrong? i was going to get a b16 swap but zcs are way cheaper and i heard they r better for turbo. so is he wrong? or am i confused.

Your friend is partially right. The spline count on the hubs between the the HF (and STD I think) is different than the Si and DX. The axles for the ZC transmission need the Si or DX hubs, or they won't fit. Change out your hubs/knuckles and you'll be fine. If you can find knuckles from a 90-91 EX, you can upgrade your brakes for real cheap too. Everything else bolts right up.

The B16 and DOHC ZC are both excellent candidates for boost.

So if I used a Si tranny would I still have to get new axels and knuckles/hubs? What would be the best ECU to use?

you would still have to get new knuckles/hubs because you have the spline count differs on the crx hf to the crx dx/si. The axles that you need to use will only work with dx/si knuckles and hubs. The best computer to run would either be the zc computer, 89 integra, or a Zdyne zc program done to a 88-91 civic si ecu.

scrap the ZC tranny, and get an Si tranny, unless the ZC tranny is LSD its not worth the hassle.

If you use an Si tranny, your Hf axles will plug right into it, and in turn will plug right back into the same, stock hf hubs you have on there now.

you dont have to change hubs or knuckles, that is incorrect.

Gary

the zc is a waste save up for a b swap
I will post some pics tonight of the last z that was in the car and is now in the scrap pile

Back