high boost or high compresion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

socalcivic

I have a b18b and im wondering if theres a diffrence if I lower the compression and then boost it too 19 psi, or to raise compression and set boost at 6-8psi? Im gonna use a turbo from an evo8, with a fmic which one will make more hp, im planning to put a b16 head on in the future but first i wanna boost thanks

alex

Its all about tuning and adding fuel/timing, etc. You can use 10:1 compression and boost a bar, just gotta get it tuned.

Originally posted by NoJokE@Sep 30 2003, 11:12 PM
Its all about tuning and adding fuel/timing, etc. You can use 10:1 compression and boost a bar, just gotta get it tuned.

:werd:

lower compression will help because it won't ping, but that's only if you don't have the timing and air/fuel tuned right.

you can boost high levels on high compression, it just takes a bit more patience, time and money.

eventually the limit of boost vs. compression is determined by the octane gas you are running.

thank you thank you.... I think the turbo is a 20g, is that a good turbo for my application

alex

the 20g turbo is a nice small turbo, it will spool extremely fast, and give a nice boost in power. I would guesstimate it's good for like 225whp at max efficiency? I am unsure of that though.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Oct 2 2003, 03:17 PM
the 20g turbo is a nice small turbo, it will spool extremely fast, and give a nice boost in power. I would guesstimate it's good for like 225whp at max efficiency? I am unsure of that though.

:bash:

20g supports wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than 225 whp...225 whp is more like the 15g...20g is a kickass turbo and id rock it to 330-350 whp

in size its roughly comparable to the garrett t3/t04e

how do you guys rate turbos on how much power it can handle?

there are some cars running high compression(about 10:1) and high boost(about 25psi) with regular 93 octane fuel. So i guess its all in tuning. I think those water injection systems would help in these kinds of situations.

I'm sorry, but I don't feel 10:1 is high at all. Its a medium level if you ask me.
9:1 is low
10:1 is average
11:1 is moderately high
12:1 is stupid high.

Also, it is doubtful that you will ever see 25 psi on pump gas.... unless its a 14b tweaked to actualyl hit 25 psi...
around 350 whp, regardless of the turbo, higher octane is needed, or a weak ass timing tune, wich eats power.

IMO, water injection is over-rated so long as you have a proper intercooler.

Back