High Compression engine Bolt On response

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You don't need to upgrade the valvesprings for most "Stg 2" cams.

But yeah, for the price of Stg1 cams, you can get Stg 2.

Got my Pistons & Bearings Yesterday, but they forgot to send my rings, so they are on there way as well. I dropped off my block & pistons this morning which should be done by the weekend :D I get paid on Monday as well, so I'm hoping to have everything together and broken in by end of Next week. I'm going to keep the stock cam for now, just because of low funds.

BUT another cam question. Couldn't someone run a lightweight Valve and maybe a stage 1- 1.2ish cam without running stiffer valves? The lighter weight would do essentially the same thing as a stiffer spring, but put less ware on the cam & rocker arms, while making a bit more power, correct?

Correct; but it's cheaper to just upgrade the springs. You're not going to drop much weight from the valves unless you switch to sodium-filled and or titanium valves; which cost way more than valve springs.

Just as an FYI of an actual case of SOHC headwork and a cam. back in the day ('98)...my friend had a '91 si crx with the stock 108hp motor. He got a JG head/cam/sprocket with header intake and exhaust....oh MSD box too. When installed the head and took it to be dyno'd

He got 148whp (which is pretty good when thinking stock whp was about 86) But it was a non-vtec motor. It ran well for what it was. And it was tuned by some german engine mechanic but he just tweaked the cam sprocket timing...ran it about 6 times and called it good

From what I've read...you should be around 140whp with your set up right now....so head/cams/springs will give you even more power increase then my friend's crx. You could be in the 160-180whp (which is pretty crazy for SOHC VTEC) But that is also $1500-2000 later.

:] I'll be grinning all day long with 140whp...for a while, lol. But 180 would demand respect out of an all motor 1.6L sohc!

So how does "Degreeing" a cam work? and should I do it with a stock cam (W/adjustable gear)? Does it just make things run more...correct, making the potential power used more? (if that makes sense at all).

My buddy has a 1998 Honda Civic Ex with the stock cam (w/Skunk2 adjustable cam gear) and said it did absolutely nothing. The reason for adjusting the cam is to make the duration longer and open the intake and exhaust valves appropriately to allow for the air/fuel (Intake) into the combustion chamber then relieve it through the exhaust system better. Do you have a header and a cat-back as well?.

I've read in "High-Performance Honda Builder's Handbook V. I" that advancing the intake makes more Torque, while Retarding it makes peak HP. So I don't think it really makes More power but shifts the power band maybe? Any input on that? I guess this could have been applied to DOHC only, I'll look. But I will tinker a few degrees at a time and report my findings.
Nope, just axle back, but i will be getting a header and cat-back in two weeks.

Yes, advancing and retarding the cam gear in a SOHC just moves the power band around(you can't control the lobe separation like DOHC motors). Ditch those "Honda Builder Handbooks" and just read up on general engine design. You'll learn MUCH more with more accurate information.

Adjustable cam gears do not change duration, just timing(when the valves open/close in relation to piston position)

Cool, so if I can move the power band around, then I should be able to make more power in the RPM range I'd race at right? of course everywhere else would suffer.

Yes; but of course there's dimensioning returns. A given cam profile may not be enough for high-rpm so trying to retard it to increase higher rpm power would just result in less power overall. Then you have to account for where the intake and exhaust is optimized.

You only really need to adjust a cam gear to a performance cam, kind of making it like your stock in theory. What I mean is that your stock cam is already degree'd from the factory so it will run right (on time), so if you buy a performance cam you will need to adjust your cam gear to put it on time as well. A little messing around but that's half the fun IMO.

Yes, advancing and retarding the cam gear in a SOHC just moves the power band around(you can't control the lobe separation like DOHC motors). Ditch those "Honda Builder Handbooks" and just read up on general engine design. You'll learn MUCH more with more accurate information.

Adjustable cam gears do not change duration, just timing(when the valves open/close in relation to piston position)

Your right, the camshaft itself will change duration (not the cam gear). Sorry for that little piece of mis-information.

Back