high idle?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thechief86

hey guys, this is the first post of many, i'm sure. i just bought a 93 civic with a swapped in b18 from a 94 integra. it wants to idle around 1500-2k once it warms up, and won't go back down. i adjusted the throttle stop, and it didn't change anything. check engine light isn't on. i don't know if the guy used the civic wiring or the integra wiring, but it looks clean, and not much stuff is spliced in, other than a different map sensor. it has the integra map sensor still on the intake manifold, but unhooked, and it's using one mounted on the firewall. this is the first honda i've had that isn't stock, so i don't know much about them. i've mostly messed with jeeps. unplugging the throttle position sensor didn't change anything while idling. i dunno, but i figured somebody on here might.

ok, so today i went outside to start the car, and now it's doing that funky high-low idle thing(fluctuating). i tapped on the idle air control motor, and it didn't change anything. so i checked the coolant. i didn't see any in the radiator, so i added some. that didn't change anything. i guess i could have some air in the cooling system, too, though? i haven't messed with the fitv yet, because i figured they were separate problems? i'm gonna keep messing with it, but if you guys have anymore suggestions, i'd love to hear them!

update, so five minutes after i left that last post, i decided to just adjust the fitv, and what do ya know, it runs like a new car! woohoo! thanks a lot hondafreak513, and ericthecarguy!
i'm a lot happier that i bought this pile now!

now i need to figure out some stuff with the transmission and shift linkage. it has a short throw billet shifter in it, but the linkage is REALLY loose, like to the point that the throws end up being longer than stock, but it still clicks into gear at the end of the throw like with a short throw shifter. the transmission whines pretty bad, and finding 3rd and 5th gear are kinda hard... should i start a new thread with a different title for this one? i haven't been under the car yet, but i thought i'd throw that out there for suggestions since the snow keeps me off the ground at the moment.

^ oh yeah, and since it doesn't seem to click all the way into 3rd or 5th, sometimes it will grind and free rev when i let off the clutch instead of moving in gear.

Check the fluid in the trans.. Also check the bushing where the shift linkage connects to the shifter.. I would personally get rid of the short throw shifter, imo they trash the trans...

coolbeans. do you have a link for how to check the trans fluid, what kind, and how much? i'd be willing to bet the trans is already trashed, since it whines in 4th and 5th, and does that grinding crap. if i get 3 months out of it, i'll be happy. i just need to recoup the money from buying it before i buy a tranny for it. if i swap, i'll get a stock shifter and all. i guess it uses the civic linkage?

You gotta check the fluid when the car is level, there is a bolt right next to cv axle on the passenger side the takes a 17mm wrench. Take that off and fluid should come out if its full, if not then you will need a funnel with a long long tube on it to reach the hole.. If its whining already then it probably is shot just make sure it is full and take it easy on the trans and it might last a little longer. The trannys take 10w30 motor oil, for those that are extreme on their trans use honda manual trans fluid.. As for the shift linkage you have to use one for a 90-93 integra and use the integra shifter also.. The integra trans takes about 2.3 quarts of fluid but usually you just fill it til it runs out of the tranny..

haha, yeah i know, i'm jokin.... i checked it, and it was low. it took about a quart of oil. i'm about to go look at that bushing for the shifter... i'm guessing i need a stock shifter bushing for a 91 integra since that's where the transmission came from?

The shifter has about 5-7 pieces for the bushing set.. You will have to get them from a dealership if you only have a honda dealer around you get them for a 99 civic SI with the b16.. If there is a acura dealer around get them for a 95 integra LS

thanks again, man. i actually had more issues than just bushings, though. it looks like at one time the linkage fell out of the car and got dragged on the ground for a while. i ended up doing some cutting and welding, and fabbing up some new bushings out of some universal ones we had laying around. it's a lot better, but there's still some slop where the lower linkage attaches to the transmission. i guess i'll mess with that some this weekend.

ok, so after about a week or so, my idle fluctuation came back. does this mean that i didn't adjust the fitv far enough? i haven't had a chance to do it again, but the idle doesn't fluctuate as dramatically as before, only like a 200 rpm fluctuation at most. should i open it back up and crank that thing down a little farther?

Back