horsepower or torque

horsepower or torque

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
uh.....both? Where's answer C? <_<

Dyno's measure torque, and through the magical mathmatical formulas you measure horsepower.

hp=tq*rpm/5252

:concur: there should be the RIGHT answer which is a good hearty combination of BOTH!

you can't have one without the other... honestly. well you can... but it won't do much for you.

i think what he is trying to say is

what would you rather have more of, little torque and lot of hp or lot of torque and less hp.

Explain to me that?

My dad's truck puts out 360 ft/lbs but it isn't exactly faster then a 16.0 0-60.

how much does ur dads truck weigh. what im saying is, if you have a car with 100 HP and 500 foot lbs it will be faster than a car with 500 hp and 100 ftlbs. of course those # will never happen, but its an example.

Originally posted by cointelpro+Nov 20 2003, 11:02 PM-->
how much does ur dads truck weigh. what im saying is, if you have a car with 100 HP and 500 foot lbs it will be faster than a car with 500 hp and 100 ftlbs. of course those # will never happen, but its an example.

no. its all about are UNDER the power curve. rev range plays a huge factor.

CRX_B16B
@Nov 21 2003, 12:24 AM
torque is meusured in lbs./ft. just thought you should know. B)

its LB*FT or FT*LBS

Originally posted by cointelpro@Nov 20 2003, 11:02 PM
how much does ur dads truck weigh.  what im saying is, if you have a car with 100 HP and 500 foot lbs it will be faster than a car with 500 hp and 100 ftlbs. of course those # will never happen, but its an example.

Edit: No the two cars will have exactly the same times....if they have the same weight, same mods/tires/drivers/track conditions, they will be dead even.

Actually, those numbers CAN happen... Diesels (straight sixes in Semis for example) produce large numbers of torque, but because they redline at around 2000 rpm, which is enough to make about 1000 ft lbs torque...they simply don't produce the same mindboggling amounts of horsepower. I love sittin beside trucks on the highway, get on the passenger side and you can hear the turbocharger whining pretty easily. :eek:

Take a military issue hummer as another example...I think my brother told me it makes like 500 ft lbs torque, and like 120 hp... :lol:

For the sake of this poll, and the fact that low displacement cars are generally torqueless, I'll vote for horsepower.

Originally posted by CRX_B16B@Nov 21 2003, 12:39 AM
what ever but it is lbs/ft.

what are you trying to say?

torque = force * distance (or radius etc.)

so ft*lbs, N*m, dyne*cm, etc.

the only thing i can think of something like lbs/ft or N/m would be used for is a distributed load.

it cant be either lbs/ft or ft/lbs well actually it could but the numbers would be different because / = divide which means that it would either say lbs divided by feet so how many pounds per foot or it would be how many feet per pound.

but people uselly say lbs/ft cuz ft pounds would be like how many feet does your car have per pound. so instead of saying it has like 127lbs per foot it would be like i have 10feet per pound.

I am kinda confused with all this Horsepower + Torque thing,

I use to have a 95 Prelude wiht H23a1 in it, this car had 156 lb/feet and something like 160 ponies stock

The thing wiht the H23 was that it pulls strong in any gear/any speed BUT after 5000rpm's it felt like the engine itself shots down, the speed goes up, but not like before 5000rpm,

May be that's the lack of VTEC but I will tell you something that when I was racing with a VTEC Lude we basicaly were same, nobody beat nobody

and now I have a DC239 (integra GSR) when I jest got in it I didn't really like the start of the car BUT after 4500-5000rpm's whne the VTEC engages, THIS CAR GOES,

so I would definitely say Horsepower, and I like a little bit of torque

so basically THE GOLDEN MIDLE

which now for me is a DC239,

Originally posted by cointelpro@Nov 20 2003, 11:02 PM

thats incorrect. given 2 cars of equal weight, traction, and gearing to maximize their given powerbands, a car with 160 hp will be faster than one with 150 hp, regardless of torque. torque is force, horsepower is work, or torque applied over time. torque is simply the amount of force your tires exert on the ground. but because there is no time involved, theres no work. if you push against a brick wall, you are exerting force, but doing no work. a car that makes 150 lb/ft of torque at 8000 rpm is doing t he same work as a similar weight car making 300 lb/ft of torque at 4000 rpm. figure it this way, if you push a 3000 lb car 10 feet in 1 minute or a 1500lb car 20 feet in one minute, your doing the same amount of work (3000 lbs x 10 feet= 30,000 foot/lbs of work (not torque) 1500 x 20 feet= that same 30,000 ft/lbs of work) torque and rpm are the rotational equivalents of force and time. quite simply, the faster motor will be the motor that can do more work in less time- that is which can apply its torque at the highest rpm- horsepower. a race between 3 cars, one with a detriot deisel with 200 hp, one with a b18c5 with 200 hp and one with a 200 hp turbine will net the exact same result, given the previous assumption of all else being equal. it doesnt matter that the deisel is making something like 500+ lb/ft of torque at 2000 rpm(just a random estimate, i dotn feel like doing the math, its just an example) the b18c is making about 135 lb/ft of torque at 8000 rpm (again im lazy, and dont want to look it up so correct away) or the turbine making 5 lb/ft of torque at 120,000 rpm. they are all applying their available torque over enough rpm to do the same amount of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back