How Hard to replace clutch yourself?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Joka

Bought new clutch/PP/Throw out bearing/ Flywheel. Ive never done anything like this before how hard would it be to (do it yourself) ?

get a manual.....take out tranny...get busy....i wouldnt do it...but i'm just lazy and my friend is a mechanic...but good luck....

it is a matter of seperating the trans from the engine and replacing everything. I did it with my engine out and would say that the hardest part was seperating the two peices. this is a two man job, for sure. to loosen the bolts one has to hold the flywheel still while the other spins the wrench.

to loosen the bolts one has to hold the flywheel still while the other spins the wrench.

impact guns y0

replaceing a clutch is not that hard...
what tools do you have

you'll need a jack, jack stands, muscles or a tranny lift, or engine crane if you choose to remove the motor and work on it out of the car...

you need to remove axles, starter, tranny mounts, and a bunch of other shit in your way

what car do you have with what motor?

of course your regular metric socket and wrench set is a must, along with pry bars, hammers, pliers, vice grips, dykes/side cutters, and an impact gun is most preferable for ball joints and things...

AND A TORQUE WRENCH

I have done it myself a couple of times with the motor in the car. Worst part both times was getting the nuts off the axels, and I didn't see the bolt hidden bolt on the other side of the tranny the first time. Its all nuts and bolts for the most part. I used stands to hold up the car, and a jack to lift the tranny in place. The tranny isn't as heavy as you think, you can easily lift a honda tranny yourself once its out of the car as long as your back is good. Get a good breaker bar, some flare wrenches if you have a hydro clutch, I bought a torque wrench at harbor freight for $13, calibrated it at work and it didn't need any adjusting.

I've done it too many times.

In 4cyl FWD cars, I always just pull the whole motor out. It's easier, for me at least. I pulled my LS out so many times, I can do the clutch job in about 4 hours by myself, probably 2-3 with help.

In a RWD car I just pull the trans.

It's pretty damned simple. Just remove anything attached to the trans then the trans>motor bolts. The technically it should just slide off and it's common sense from there. Take off the TOB, it should just slide right off. Take off the PP bolts, which are 10mm 12 point on hondas (IIRC), the disc will just fall out when you take the PP off.

To remove the flywheel, I think it's 17mm 12 point bolts. I jammed it with a screwdriver and usually used an impact, but it can be done without too much trouble with a regular ratchet and socket.

I had one instance in a Hyundai, where the disc kind of welded itself to the shaft. I used a quad to seperate it. Unless you rode the clutch until the car really no longer moved, you should be ok.

Its a royal pain in the ass. But completely doable.

I've done three by myself, no assistance at all, so It can be a one man job.

But watch the edges on the trans, I have a scar on one of my fingers where a ZC transmission fell and chopped it wide open. I could see tendons and bone.. It was cool, wife took me to the emergency room, I got stitched up, electrical taped it, and finished it up that night.

Too much fun

:mrgreen:

Oh yea, I got plenty of scrapes and cuts from it.

But the feeling after a 10lb flywheel and a brand new Exedy is put in makes it all worth it. I don't care what people say, the 10# and Exedy performed nicely with the LST.

I have a 91 CRX Hf with a b18 GSR (had it installed) And i just bought a stage 3 clutch and pressure plate for it along with a 7 pound Flywheel.

Well then, if you had it installed you don't know how to take it out, right?

Are you mechanically inclined? This really isn't a job for a completely inexperienced person.

I'd say try it, leave yourself a few days to do it. You will learn a few things along the way. If you think of it in the sense its just nuts and bolts its really not that hard, as long as the bolts break loose. Your not engineering it, your just replacing it. If you can't figure something out, post a message and somebody will help, everyone in here who has taken out a motor HAS to have done a clutch job at some point, and thats alot of people.

yea make sure you have 12 point sockets, hammering a 6 point socket onto the flywheel bolts takes a long time :cry:
It is really easy, in the car or out, don't let it intimidate you. :)

Quoted post[/post]]
i dunno how tight the crx with b18 is but it might be easier to just pull the motor and tranny...
yea might be, not much room in that thurr bay.

great link. they tell you to remove more than you need to, but still really great link.

06.jpg

haha, flip flops...

and people say i;m nuts to wear birks in the garage...

I've done a clutch install like 3 times and it's very time-consuming. You don't want to remove any uncessary stuff so be sure you review the how-to DwnShftPrincess provided. Just follow that step-by-step and you'll be okay. If you're not mechanically inclined, don't attempt it. But, if you are, you should try it. You'll feel good about yourself afterwards and when somebody asks you who installed your clutch, you can say, "I did" with pride. :)

No i mean, I do know what im doing I only had to pay someone to put my engine in because I was very busy with work at the time and it needed to be done in a weekend so i could go back to work the following week. Btw my dad will be helping me with this (I just found this out) And he has done this alot of time in older american cars (60-70's) So I think we will get it done over the weekend so i can return to work on monday :)

Btw thx for all the input guys.

Back