1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Hard to replace clutch yourself?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Joka, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Joka

Joka Member

Bought new clutch/PP/Throw out bearing/ Flywheel. Ive never done anything like this before how hard would it be to (do it yourself) ?

2. formby

formby learning in progress

get a manual.....take out tranny...get busy....i wouldnt do it...but i'm just lazy and my friend is a mechanic...but good luck....

3. jimboburgess

jimboburgess Go fast, Go Cheap

it is a matter of seperating the trans from the engine and replacing everything. I did it with my engine out and would say that the hardest part was seperating the two peices. this is a two man job, for sure. to loosen the bolts one has to hold the flywheel still while the other spins the wrench.

4. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

impact guns y0

replaceing a clutch is not that hard...
    what tools do you have

you'll need a jack, jack stands, muscles or a tranny lift, or engine crane if you choose to remove the motor and work on it out of the car...

you need to remove axles, starter, tranny mounts, and a bunch of other shit in your way

what car do you have with what motor?

of course your regular metric socket and wrench set is a must, along with pry bars, hammers, pliers, vice grips, dykes/side cutters, and an impact gun is most preferable for ball joints and things...

AND A TORQUE WRENCH

5. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

I have done it myself a couple of times with the motor in the car. Worst part both times was getting the nuts off the axels, and I didn't see the bolt hidden bolt on the other side of the tranny the first time. Its all nuts and bolts for the most part. I used stands to hold up the car, and a jack to lift the tranny in place. The tranny isn't as heavy as you think, you can easily lift a honda tranny yourself once its out of the car as long as your back is good. Get a good breaker bar, some flare wrenches if you have a hydro clutch, I bought a torque wrench at harbor freight for $13, calibrated it at work and it didn't need any adjusting.

6. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

I've done it too many times.

In 4cyl FWD cars, I always just pull the whole motor out. It's easier, for me at least. I pulled my LS out so many times, I can do the clutch job in about 4 hours by myself, probably 2-3 with help.

In a RWD car I just pull the trans.

It's pretty damned simple. Just remove anything attached to the trans then the trans>motor bolts. The technically it should just slide off and it's common sense from there. Take off the TOB, it should just slide right off. Take off the PP bolts, which are 10mm 12 point on hondas (IIRC), the disc will just fall out when you take the PP off.

To remove the flywheel, I think it's 17mm 12 point bolts. I jammed it with a screwdriver and usually used an impact, but it can be done without too much trouble with a regular ratchet and socket.

I had one instance in a Hyundai, where the disc kind of welded itself to the shaft. I used a quad to seperate it. Unless you rode the clutch until the car really no longer moved, you should be ok.

7. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Its a royal pain in the ass. But completely doable.

I've done three by myself, no assistance at all, so It can be a one man job.

But watch the edges on the trans, I have a scar on one of my fingers where a ZC transmission fell and chopped it wide open. I could see tendons and bone.. It was cool, wife took me to the emergency room, I got stitched up, electrical taped it, and finished it up that night.

Too much fun

:mrgreen:

8. 92civicb18b1

Oh yea, I got plenty of scrapes and cuts from it.

But the feeling after a 10lb flywheel and a brand new Exedy is put in makes it all worth it. I don't care what people say, the 10# and Exedy performed nicely with the LST.

9. Joka

Joka Member

I have a 91 CRX Hf with a b18 GSR (had it installed) And i just bought a stage 3 clutch and pressure plate for it along with a 7 pound Flywheel.

10. 92civicb18b1

Well then, if you had it installed you don't know how to take it out, right?

Are you mechanically inclined? This really isn't a job for a completely inexperienced person.

11. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

I'd say try it, leave yourself a few days to do it. You will learn a few things along the way. If you think of it in the sense its just nuts and bolts its really not that hard, as long as the bolts break loose. Your not engineering it, your just replacing it. If you can't figure something out, post a message and somebody will help, everyone in here who has taken out a motor HAS to have done a clutch job at some point, and thats alot of people.

12. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

i dunno how tight the crx with b18 is but it might be easier to just pull the motor and tranny...

13. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

yea make sure you have 12 point sockets, hammering a 6 point socket onto the flywheel bolts takes a long time :cry2:
    It is really easy, in the car or out, don't let it intimidate you. :)

yea might be, not much room in that thurr bay.

14. 92civicb18b1

15. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

:werd:

a b18 in a crx doesn't leave much room to work.. I'd yank the motor and trans, do the work, and put it back.

Or at least remove all of the motor mounts and tilt the hell out of it.

16. DwnShftPrincess

DwnShftPrincess Senior Member

Easy process for those mechanically inclined. I recently did my first one on a 96 EX. I don't have a lift so i used 2 jackstands and two tranny jacks. one to support the motor and one for the tranny.
    check this link out

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139802

Good luck

17. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

great link. they tell you to remove more than you need to, but still really great link.

18. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

[​IMG]

haha, flip flops...

and people say i;m nuts to wear birks in the garage...

19. turbo99

turbo99 Member

I've done a clutch install like 3 times and it's very time-consuming. You don't want to remove any uncessary stuff so be sure you review the how-to DwnShftPrincess provided. Just follow that step-by-step and you'll be okay. If you're not mechanically inclined, don't attempt it. But, if you are, you should try it. You'll feel good about yourself afterwards and when somebody asks you who installed your clutch, you can say, "I did" with pride. :)

20. Joka

Joka Member

No i mean, I do know what im doing I only had to pay someone to put my engine in because I was very busy with work at the time and it needed to be done in a weekend so i could go back to work the following week. Btw my dad will be helping me with this (I just found this out) And he has done this alot of time in older american cars (60-70's) So I think we will get it done over the weekend so i can return to work on monday :)

Btw thx for all the input guys.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted