How much did you pay for your rex?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kanned

Beast
I thought I remember a thread like this, but I don't see one searching from my phone.

So there are quite a few clean crx's here in south FL going for approx. 2k +/- 300 on average and I've been seriously considering grabbing one. My question is how much did the rex owners pay for theirs? What model and condition? Original motor? Any extra info and pics would be appreciated.

$1000 88 CRX DX; no rear interior, straight pipe, blown rings(but still ran, just a lot of smoke), timing jacked up(distributor bolt stuck so it was like advanced 23 degrees) faded blue paint roughly 230k miles Yeah, I got ripped off; I should have got it for like $800.

$250 88 CRX DX; Rear quarter rust, bent subframe, about 213k miles....otherwise perfect. I later parted it out and made my money back+parts to swap into my 88 Civic. :) I still ended up throwing away a lot of good stuff.

Some pictures(pretty much during the time they started getting parted out, more pictures on 4x6s but no scanner)
carstuffy0006.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

Nov0372.jpg

Nov0374.jpg

Last edited:
you can find some b16 crx's for $2500-$3500 these days. might have to de-rice them, but that is pretty cheap.

I paid 2400 for a 91 crx dx. It had been converted to si, all down to the addition of a sunroof.

It had a jacked up d16z6, slammed on skunk 2's and ghetto focal rims, intake, exhaust, sway bars, etc. The d16z6 threw a valve a week after i got it, and 600 later I had the head rebuilt, and rewired it. It ran like a top after wards, and I traded the focal's for some del sol rims.

Looked great, and was an awesome car after a lot of tlc. I sold it a couple months later for 3500.

about 6 yrs ago i bought a 89 SI w/ 89k original miles on it.. super clean, red.. paid $2600 for it from original owner, an old lady whos husband passed away.. it was his car.. they bought it off the showroom floor in 89

September 2003, $1000, 52k miles, eBay.

It's still never been on the road, but that's just because I haven't had enough time/money to finish it yet. It was repainted (not too well) at one point in the past, and 6 winters and summers outside have peeled off the clearcoat; it looks like it's got a bad case of sunburn. :D It's a mostly sound shell though.

Attachments

• downloaded_dsc_0002.jpg
    downloaded_dsc_0002.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
i paid $535 for a 91 si with 88 front..
no motor.tranny.seats..had a cracked windshield normal rust..and a cut front bumper..
i would pay 2k for a clean stock rex def.

In 2002 I paid about $1500 for a 1986 crx si with 80K. All stock, except repainted after the 1/4's were "fixed". 1/4's were junk again a year or 2 later but i loved that car.

$2500 for a DX with Lsvtec swap. pretty clean and put together as far as interior goes.

My wife bought me my 87 CRX Si in Florida in 1998 for $2500, with 180,000 miles with a slightly blown head gasket........ and one spot of rust.

I've since then have totaled it, rebuilt it, swapped it, raced it, rebuilt it, and now it's waiting for it's last rebuild with a decent set-up that will rock the world of automotive history.... when I get off my lazy ass....

I've got about $12,000 into it so far...more if you count the mustang I crashed into with a DUI many years back that I had to pay for...

I paid $3k for a super clean (body) 91 dx with absolutely zero enterior, a botched zc swap, and mystery condition b18a1 on the side. The b18 is supposedly a jdm version with low miles on it, but the valve cover is all chipped to hell and its very dirty, so I'm going to assume its just a beater motor until I dig into it.

After shopping around Texas, I've learned that clean nice unmolested crxs are very rare. You pretty much have a choice of fucktard poor boy ricer build, or "nice" ricer who has money build.. But they've all been raped in the ass. If you shop around you can find fucked up crxs with dents and dings and shit glued all over them for $500.

But a good, beautiful, clean, shiny, rust free example of a showroom crx should be purchased at any price, and loved and babied, and loved some more.

But a good, beautiful, clean, shiny, rust free example of a showroom crx should be purchased at any price, and loved and babied, and loved some more.

yes, yes yes, yes. and repped.

i paid $2400 to my dad for my 89 Si in '04 (he had it for 10 years before he let me buy it from him), 180k miles and shot paint, but everything else was good.

then i paid $3200+ for its replacement on ebay in '07: 91 DX, 234k miles and minty fresh everything. all it needed was stock tails (and a timing belt last week). the seats weren't ripped at all, and the interior = :wub:

pretty sure you've all seen it..

Last edited:
Holy busy day... I checked out a 90 crx dx after work in pretty decent shape. Interior was great, zero signs of an oil leak and no engine noise. Paint was fairly faded, a few typical dings and an oddly wedged panel on the rear end. Giant cold air intake and 160k on it. Runs and drives pretty damn good and I could get it for 1,600 for sure, probably 1,500. Not riced out and looks to be fairly well kept. Certain things have definitely been played with though, like the suspension and very minor things in the interior. I'm gonna have to pass on it and just wait for an even nicer gem.

I want to get a nice rex to DD until I have the extra time/money to swap it, selling my LX in the mean time. Hard part is I know everything about my LX is done right because I did it. If I didn't, I was at least there helping. The thing has survived 20 hour road trips no prob and I'd be pissed to trade it for something that can't. Project DD = no bueno.

Thanks a lot for all your info guys/gals. Seriously, ty lots. Hopefully I'll join the rex community soon. I gotta pass out now, but I'll spread rep love tomorrow =D.

3500 for my Rex, bone stock. It had a bra on it that was it. I dont remember the exact miles that where on it at the time I got it though.

Never bought a Rex, but I paid $400 for an 89 DX hatch with nickel sized rust holes in the wheel wells and Kristin bought a 91 Si shell from Florida for $100, that one got scraped though. :(

Back