how much nitrous is too much?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Taco15

I wear stretchy pants
alright. I'm not buying anything right now. but i want to clear my head of a couple nitrous questions. I wanted to stay N/A at first. Now i want more power,obviously. How much nitrous can i spray on a 11.3.1 compression lsvtec? here the specs on the motor.

Bottom end is all forged with h beams rods and balanced eagle crankshaft. the head however has S2 stage 2 cams with springs/retainers, and ported head work. I feel that a 50 wet shot is safe. What i wanna now (1) whats the best setup? I have asked around and all have said that the direct port is the best way to spray.

2)I've got a chrome tuned p28.will i need to retune? I'm getting larger injectors and intake manni before i do this so nitrous is still a bit aways ahead. Is there a brand that will do the timing,fuel adjustments for me? That way i can keep my current tune. I want to be able to spray and have a peace of mind that its not going to blow due to loss of fuel.:( i'm not going to run nitrous but only once or twice month. track use only and maybe once on the street. I rarely race:mellow:on the street. I know that my motor N/A is plenty tuff to deal without the nitrous. I just want to be able to get close to the low 13's or high 12's in my crx. And for extra insurance in case i bite off more than i can chew;)

feel free to post your opinions,concerns and suggestions.
thanks guys

get 75shot direct port my buddy had that on his frankenstein b16 block bored to 1.8liters and gsr head redlining at 9grand worked great no problems.

ill say this. we told a guy that he shouldnt run nitrous on his 12:1 ford 351w....he ran a 100 shot of carb plate nitrous....and yeah, you dont wanna see what the pistons look like (more like i dont wanna download them off my phone).

i would barely run a 75 shot to tell the truth.

CarAudiophile said awhile back, that around 55hp shot won't hurt the motor. I guess that's a good start.

Bottom end is all forged with h beams rods and balanced eagle crankshaft.

a rule of thum is to spray half of the original power, and thats on a stock cast piston engine. start low and work up. go to the dyno taco and tune there. you have forged internals and nitrous loves HC. just tune right

compression ration has a lot to do with this. while n2o does lower the pressure of the air, at combustion, the air fills the chamber at a VERY high compression. combined with you upping the static ratio to 11.3:1, its not always a safe proposition.

guys down at tokyo speed pros in arizona are building a full on nitrous car. 9:1 cr and uhm a really really big shot... dunno much only heard about it breifly. so just like anything else its all in how you build the engine. build the engine to handle lots of nitrous and youre golden, put lots of nitrous on a stokc motor and it will go boom.

9:1 is super low....that doesnt suprise me that its able to run a lot of nitrous at that cr. the ones i see exploding are 12:1+ with dual stages of 150.

i know a 50 shot is fine. I want to see whats the most i can sparay safely. !00 shot to me alot but then again i'm a newb when it comes to what my safest options are. so far i'm leanig towards direct port. what i dont get are the tuning aspects. If i tune my p28 with nitrous whats going to happen when i race without the nitrous? you see? If i have to i'll drive to a shop you guys recommend for tuning. I have no problem going to Texas or Orlando somewhere. My mechanics are domestic guys. They have nitroused cars but man its different in a honda.Formby you told me awahile back ago of a company that has nitrous kit. can you remember? also you think CFT can me agood Job? I dontreally want to dyno it again since thats how it blew up last time. man its scary. anywho. i thinks a 75 shot direct port should be enought to break 12's. I just dont want to sink anymore money into N/A parts if nitrous can get me there cheaper. If its not nitrous then i'm definitly going to get a higher compression HG.

You know i alreay have a pr3 thats tuned for nitrous. I got it when i bought my other crx shell. If anybody interested.lmk. I'm damn sure not going back to OBD 0.

yeah, i wouldnt run a lot. usually your okay if your running a dpi system, usually the fuel is already tuned right (because you dont have to worry about the inconsistancies that are notorious with wet/dry systems). if youre worried about it, run 1 size bigger fuel nozzle and it should put you in the clear. im not making a promise, but thats usually the case.

ive ran a 100 Wshot on vp110 on my current lsv. [81.5mm pr4 cast pistons], no problem,[yet] all i did was retard the timing 2deg.. also shoot me an pm taco about the ecu: with settings and a good price...lol ill buy it

you can buy an ostrich from moets, it lets you switch settings on the fly... and they also sell a dual chip "thing"... it lets you put 2 chips in the ecu instead of one and you can switch between them

There was a sight somewhere, maybe here, where a guy and his son were screwing with a dodge stratus I think

Anyway, one was driving, the other was in the passenger seat with nos bottle in hand, and a hose ran directly to the intake. No nozzles or anything, just a hose. They got up to speed and he cracked the valve on the bottle.. THAT was too much nos! lol.. (yeah, motor blew)

i ran 120hp direct port wet on my b20 block never had a problem
wow. i dont see myslef spraying that much:lol: thanks for the info guys. Formby i'll be seeing you soon in Orlando. I'm heading up thier in a month or so.

im going to be putting on a 100 shot on my stock y8. you need to put a wideband on it and make sure you have all the jets correct. i think of it like this. stock d series motors could put down 230+ hp with a turbo and you can beat the shit out of them all the time. so once in awhile throwing a 75 shot on a stock motor would be fine. theres just a few things you need to look into b/c i dont know eveything about it. like you dont want to spray when you below a certain rpm, i would not launch on nitrous. i would also go with a direct port setup with some extras like bottle heater, pressure gauge and purge.

yeah wide band is definitly on my list after oil press. guage. I want to monitor all the importants things from inside while i'm driving. unfortunatley i just cant go buy it. gotta save up the cash first. thanks for the input. I think DP 75 shot is going to be my choice

well i'm unsure again:confused: I just talked to my friend/tuner and he recommends staying at the compression i'm at. He says i wont even notice the difference if i do raise compression. I know i can go higher than 11.3.1 and still be daily driven. I guess he just doesnt want to deal with it.:( I had my plans for nitrousfirst. Then i wanted to stay all motor, just swap my 3 layer to 1 layer oem gasket to raise compression. damn. I'm stuck. Its quicker and cheaper to raise comprression since my motor is coming out of my car again. Not only that but i dont have the money for nitrous yet. I was talking to Formby earlier and he said CFT could tune it for me. I think ima do that since my buddy doesnt want to do it.:(

what would you guys do? stay all motor with high compression or spray a 75 direct port. Calesta I know you like the high compression so post up man. If you can tune lmk i might let you do it;)

nitrous

i would never use nitrous in my car in yours neither nitrous is overrated if you run nitrous it will eventually ruin your pistons and a civic ls i would turbo and intercool it

Back