how much whp should i make on my gsr set up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dean_mcl

This is my setup in my 96 ex coupe
car is not tuned yet and just wanted opinion on how much i should be making with this setup. plan on having this as a daily driver/wekend racer. what do you guys think about expected quarter mile times.

I have a b18c1 gsr engine. Block was professionally done by jg.
Block was bored to 86.5 mm, 12:0 86mm cp pistons, jg sleeves, polished crank, jg light weight rods, type r water pump, acl bearings etc.

Head has full port and polish, toda spec c cams, rocket motorsport valve springs and retainers, skunk 2 pro series adjustable cam gears, type r timing belt, etc.

Type r tranny with 4.7 final drive
performance parts include-Custom built rmf headers, 70mm skunk 2 throttle body, portmatch skunk 2 intake manifold, greddy evo exaust 2.5 straight through no cat,
Aem v2 cold air intake, msd ignition with built in 2 step and msd coil, walbro 255 fuel pump, eclipse 450cc injectors, aem fuel regulator and rail, avid motor and tranny mounts, skunk 2 short shifter, z 10 traction bars, Dropped on h&r springs with bilsteing struts. full gsr back brake swap and full si front brake swap. drilled and slotted rotors all around.

nice setup for an 18yr old.

pretty damn big bore too. I could see 250 with that setup

thanks man. my mechanic was the one who build this set up for me i just told him i wanted a n/a setup that was going to get me at leats 230 to the wheels.
however this build left me practically bank rupt spend at leat 8,000 just on the motor not including labor.

yep, i am just trying to get up some cash rite now to get it tuned.
For some reason the computer is going crazy though. At first i ws runnig a chipped p28 but a faulty wire blew one of the injectors. then i put a gsr computer on it. it was good for about 10 miles but then it went crazy. it started to rev up to 7 grand by it self no throttle. then i replaced it with a stock p28 and now the car is idling between 2 and 4 grand.
spoke to a couple of people and they said it might be the tps of the car just needs to be tuned really bad.

any sugestions let me know.
thanks

12:0 compression ratio? thats not possible. Maybe you meant 12:1. Like Blanco stated earlier, the injectors are overkill but its fine. the bore sizes seem odd also (as blanco stated earlier).. header is a nice choice, but which design? 4-1 or 4-2-1?

A member of Alpha-Racing built a setup like that, but it was 84.5mm x 89mm, built itr head with toda C's and his compression was 13:1. He spun it very high, 10k if i remember correctly. He dyno'd 240(ish)whp with a Rage header.

blanco is right... that is pretty foolish. how many swaps are people having problems with?? it's like everyone is swap crazy but steps are getting skipped. that would be a pretty big financial loss if you blew the motor because it was not tuned properly... do you fully understand what you have done to that engine by bringing the compression ratio up? cam timing, etc.?

crazy things really... it's hard for me to imagine having a car like that at 18. at least it's not rear wheel drive though. hey dean, do you have a local scca club in your area? i would suggest checking that out... maybe someone their can help mentor you. you have done a great swap in a chassis i really like, and it would be nice for you to be able to fully appreciate the money and someone else's time that was invested into the car. please don't kill anyone... that would just be bad.

:)

ehh i dont he's driving it. If it its burning up ecus and revving up to 4k. Hell on an untuned car like that i give 1 day if he drives it with it revving up to 4k at idle everytime.

i hope your not driving it. I'm with Blanco too. cheack your vacume lines and see why the injector wore got fried. seems like a harness wiring issue and not an ecu issue.

I must be crazy to drive that car like that. car has been sitting in my back yard going on 3 months now cause i dont have enough money to fix. Initially i brought the car to drt to tune and things went down hill from there.

Tuning was suppose to be $525. anyway they chipped the computer and dynoyed it for 1 pull. car made 197hp on the first pull but midway through the second the headgasket blew and a bearing fell out of the clutch so the car couldnt change gears. any after all everything was fixed i shelled out 1600 to replace headgasket, fix the clutch and also my radiator cracked. Also paid for the complete tune but they said the car was too low and i was going to brake an axle so i had to switch the springs before they can put it back on the dyno.
Then i started having the problems with the computer so i havnt been able to do anything yet.

dean, sounds like you got ripped apart...

WHO DID THIS TO YOU!!??

:)

we could maybe help to decide if you got totally ripped off.

yeah sounds like a huge ripp off.

545 for tune and you only got 1 pull? shit man looks like someone needs to stop building engines.

Ouch. Take it to someone else. Sounds like a pretty badass build though. If you kill your block, I've got another GSR with the same bore- but with more stroke. ;)

yep. I have been thinking of wether to take it back to them or start from scrap. being that i paid for everything they said they would finish tuning it for me free of charge once i replaced the springs. I just bought skunk 2 coilovers with tokico illumna struts but dint put them on yet. after what they did the first time i am having second thoughts. I am most likely going to take it somewhere else as soon as i have the cash. gots to get shirmas shoping out of the way
first (lol).
This company is where i first took it. company name is DRT (drag racing technology) any one ever heard of them.

The computer has to get chipped and socketed again though. I had them chip me a second p28 but it was running in limp mode, so i had to get rid of it.

Atleast evrything that could go wriong is hapening now and not when i am going to take it to english town in the summer.

Last edited:
Ya man. Plus telling you that you will break an axle because your car is too low?? WTF?

Man I like doing stuff myself.

I know DRT... Ive raced with them @ ATCO for IDRC a couple years back. They build engines also. I'm suprised they did you dirty. What was the tuner's name?
DRT is out of NY. You should have brought it down to NJ. BYT or JBR Tuning would have given you a better tune, or atleast noted your problems before they tuned it.

Back