how to build your own slip and slide.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
step 1. buy a 240
step 2. buy 195/50/15 khumo 711's

step 3. drive.

god damn these tires blow ass. i can't beleive people actually drive on them with the hopes and dreams of it being a "performance" tire.

I bought them to drift on.... and i'm slightly worried, that they are going to be TOO drift happy. my bald snow tires had more traction....

I had a 98 S-10 lowered 3-4 on bling bling 17's wrapped in Kumho Ecsta's I believe, Last winter I took it out for 1 DAY to put on my new suspension and out of the fucking blue came a snow storm. It literally took 3 large guys to get my ass rolling from a stop, after that it was sideways the whole time. I ended up parking in a ramp for 2 days.

I think the 711s are great drift tires for a few reasons... first off, I had 'em on my AllTrac last summer, so I know the tires personally...

They make a TON of noise before they break free, and when they do, it's a very linear transition from static to dynamic friction. Now, while their static friction isn't that high, that's good in a way, because the relationship between static and dynamic friction is not a linear curve. As static friction goes up, the difference between that and dynamic becomes greater. The larger the difference, the more violent the break, and the harder it is to regain control. That's why you always see F1 and NASCAR cars entering unrecoverable situations when they lose traction. To see what I mean, put your finger on your desk lightly and slide it along the desk. See how easy it was to get it moving, and didn't take much more effort to slide along then just before it was sliding? Now press down hard and try it. See the difference? That's what I mean.

Back to the 711... it's a very polite, controllable tire. Sure, not the most traction, but if you're new to drifting, it's one of the better tires for it.

exactly why i got them.

dirt cheap at $37 each, so i don't care if i burn 4 up at the event, went down a size (205/60 is stock, 195/50s are the 711's i got) reasonbly stiff sidewall (well, they are no azeni, but it will help from roll-over, which induces the spring-back effect), did i mention dirt cheap/

so when are we going into code D?

I got one more shock to replace , and 2 more corners on rotors and pads for the brakes...and a CB to install.....

I should be able to go hit some parking lots tommorrow.....

i've got 711's on my back wheels (jus cuz i'm too broke to buy 2 more neo-gens(which are awesome, by the way))...

pulling my e-brake and wifting around corners is fun!

Originally posted by civicious@Mar 12 2004, 01:55 PM

pulling my e-brake and wifting around corners is fun!

Yeah, I tried that and my engine died on me... it was the damndest thing...

Ji, doesnt the all-trac have a center viscous LSD? if so, does your entire rear end break loose? mine would slide a little but i could never enter with a nice slip angle, even on a feint drift

Originally posted by silver@Mar 12 2004, 07:16 PM
Ji, doesnt the all-trac have a center viscous LSD? if so, does your entire rear end break loose? mine would slide a little but i could never enter with a nice slip angle, even on a feint drift

Yes. It's a 50/50 power split all the time. Unfortunately, the car is blessed with unlimited slip differentials, front and rear. Yes, the car rotates WAY more than an FF car, but not like an FR car.

On dirt, mud, gravel, and snow, however, the rear will come around nicely if you gas it once the turn is initiated, and is VERY stable and controllable while sliding. That's really what this car was meant to do, anyway. Pavement handling isn't the best, but get it on a slippery surface, and it just comes alive. I'll even go so far as to say it has better manners than a friends WRX which I've driven in the same conditions. After all, in it's day, it was THE car to beat.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Mar 12 2004, 09:01 PM-->
@Mar 12 2004, 07:16 PM

Yes. It's a 50/50 power split all the time. Unfortunately, the car is blessed with unlimited slip differentials, front and rear. Yes, the car rotates WAY more than an FF car, but not like an FR car.

On dirt, mud, gravel, and snow, however, the rear will come around nicely if you gas it once the turn is initiated, and is VERY stable and controllable while sliding. That's really what this car was meant to do, anyway. Pavement handling isn't the best, but get it on a slippery surface, and it just comes alive. I'll even go so far as to say it has better manners than a friends WRX which I've driven in the same conditions. After all, in it's day, it was THE car to beat.

Then bring it to the Drift Riot.....and slide with the rest of us.... ;)

slap some crappy tires on the back, and some grippy ones up front...and spend only a $100 for a full day of sliding around on a cool track.....

project 240sx is finished and ready to go here.

i found some bad vac hoses and that was causing the rough idle. she now purrs like a kitten with the ocassional clatter from the lack of a resonator. with the agx's on 8 and some sort of near-bald khumos on the rear ill be ready to drift. :)

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Mar 12 2004, 08:01 PM-->
@Mar 12 2004, 07:16 PM

center viscous that permanently splits 50/50 power? i've never heard of that before lol...

i'd have to agree though, AWDs shine in shit conditions

Back