how to remove lettering/badging?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MadMaXXX

Mad Man
the lettering om the back of my legend is getting old and a letter is missing

i was thinking of replacing the center letter and repainting the other ones

i want to remove them without scratching the surface of the car cuz i may have them off for a while or decide to leave em off

ps i am reffering to the huge lettering in the center back that currently says leg nd

remove them all by using dental floss, then remove the glue by using very fine rubbing compound (use 3M's clear coat safe rubbing compound). Then just buy the whole badge from acrua.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 4 2004, 01:27 PM
remove them all by using dental floss, then remove the glue by using very fine rubbing compound (use 3M's clear coat safe rubbing compound). Then just buy the whole badge from acrua.

will that work on my "accord" and "honda" ones too.

sorry i am not trying to thread jack!!!!

no prob
just got them off and mosyt of em were ready to fall of anyways

it worked beter if i doubled up the floss

well it looks like somebody had done this once before cuz the underside was hideous

2 more questions though

1. What adhesive should i use to put em back on?

2. How much do new ones normally run for at a dealership?

thanks in advance

what i do to get them cheap from the dealership is go to acruaautomotiveparts.org, find out how much it is, print out the picture and key (key has the price in it) then go to the dealership and say "do you match prices from other OEM part distributors?" why yes we do. "then match this price bitch" Walk out with part in hand, and know that you just saved 35-40% off what the dealer charges.

To put them back on, you need to buy 3M's emblem adheisive (sp) I have no clue where to find this at but, that is what I have been told.

To answer the other person, yes, if it is the plastic badge like your honda emblem, that will work. If your accord name plate is a sticker (just vinal with no plastic or metal) then what you need to do is get a hair dryer, heat up the sticker and carefully peel it off with your fingers. Try not to rip it because once you rip it, it is even harder to get off. Also, dont heat it up too much because the sticker can melt to the paint, or your paint can get extremly damaged (thats if your using a heat gun that gets like 10x hotter then hair dryers) Then to remove the adheisive left behind, just use bug and tar remover, or goof off. If those products dont work, whip out the rubbing compound. Also if a sticker has been on the car a long time, the paint not covered by the sticker may be painted, and the paint under the sticker will look like new. Use the rubbing compound to blend the two colors to match each other.

edit, I know where you screwed up on. Click on parts, not accessories. Here is the picture you should get

13SP10_B42.gif

I would just buy the whole ledged set. If you buy them indigually, they are almost 9 dollars a letter. If you buy the set, it is only 20 dollars.

and also, I just found out that the Ledged came in a 6speed manual. Holy shit that kicks ass. The V6 is so nice.

many thanks man

il drop by an acura drealership soon as i can cuz these ungly marks in back of my car suck

and the six speed is a sweet car

too bad its so rare the price of one compared to an auto is monstrously greater

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 4 2004, 04:10 PM

To answer the other person, yes, if it is the plastic badge like your honda emblem, that will work. If your accord name plate is a sticker (just vinal with no plastic or metal) then what you need to do is get a hair dryer, heat up the sticker and carefully peel it off with your fingers. Try not to rip it because once you rip it, it is even harder to get off. Also, dont heat it up too much because the sticker can melt to the paint, or your paint can get extremly damaged (thats if your using a heat gun that gets like 10x hotter then hair dryers) Then to remove the adheisive left behind, just use bug and tar remover, or goof off. If those products dont work, whip out the rubbing compound. Also if a sticker has been on the car a long time, the paint not covered by the sticker may be painted, and the paint under the sticker will look like new. Use the rubbing compound to blend the two colors to match each other.

they are both emblems, so when i use the floss to rip those fuckers off, all i need to do is use rubbing compound to get the glue off, and the it will look like i didn't even have the emblems on there right?

thanks
jeff

yes and no. With the honda emblems (the actual H) , they (OEM ones) are not held on by glue. They are held on by 2 little plastic x's (best way to describe them) and they go into little holes. For the H's, if you want to run with no emblem and actually look like you never had any emblems, your going to have to fill in the little holes. However for your other badges that say the model, the above way is how you do it.

edit. If the picture does not show for you, right click on the X and press show image. It should work.

05_back_of_oem_emblem.jpg

That is what I am talking about. To remove that old nasty dirty A image, this is where the rubbing compound and/or goof off comes in handy.

If your going to put on aftermarket H's or A's (like the JDM honda emblems with the red background) it is a good idea to remove the little plastic mounts in the bumper. You can normally get them out by just pulling on them with needle nose pliers.

just to add.....painted on graphics and pinstripes can be removed with easy-off oven cleaner [works for glue also] and a rag...plastic razorblades if its thick[w/the blades you will have to polish].......worked in a detail shop for 8 yrs when I was younger

Originally posted by deth101@Jan 4 2004, 07:35 PM
just to add.....painted on graphics and pinstripes can be removed with easy-off oven cleaner [works for glue also] and a rag...plastic razorblades if its thick[w/the blades you will have to polish].......worked in a detail shop for 8 yrs when I was younger

Oven Cleaner won't eat the paint!!?!?!!? Cause I got some nasty pinstripes put on by the former owner that I am dying to get rid of!!

Jason

Becareful with heat guns. Remember they are also used to remove paint.

Originally posted by Magik+Jan 4 2004, 10:34 PM-->
@Jan 4 2004, 07:35 PM

Oven Cleaner won't eat the paint!!?!?!!? Cause I got some nasty pinstripes put on by the former owner that I am dying to get rid of!!

Jason

yes...it does but slowly and it will eat the pinstripes faster than clear coated factory type paint which is why you rub w/a shop rag the yellow type or use the plastic blades and buff it a day later.....work a small test patch first,spray thin layer on,go slow...you'll be able to tell when its working if you keep playing w/it after you spray,it dosnt happen right away and as long as you pay attention you wont hurt nething,clean well as soon as you are done.......DO NOT try on non clearcoat or oxidized paint.

Back