Huge swap question(s)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

okay someone needs to put together a solid diy article on these swaps but i would like to pose a scenario here. got a CRX Si (manual, to make it easier no dpfi to mpfi) and i want to swap said obd0 to obd1 in order to run a 92-95 vtec (any vtec as of this point take your pick), but i want to do it the way it should be so i want to run the appropriate ecu (say p28). now i notice everyone talks about the distributor issue (apparently needs rewiring), the 4 wire O2 (b/c obd0 is single wire) and the possible knock sensor adding, now why is it that no one ever addresses the ecm's need to see vss signal in order to engage. now if i am doing a d16z6 and retaining my cable tranny but doing an obd1 swap for all the right reasons wouldnt you be essentially f@#'d short of using a hondata or something of that nature. i guess i like to be as informed as possible prior to starting a project.

another question i have is why doesnt anyone just convert to hydro clutch with the master, slave, some piping and a clutch pedal from a doner car? this would allow a greater option in swapping plus answer my own question above?

and as my final feat i will already defend myself as i am sure i will get burned for either not searching or someone will assume i know nothing. i just finished an 88 crx b18 swap with full drag t3/t04 hybrid including all custom fuel lines ect, an h22 prelude running low 14s on basic bolt-ons, 2 low 13 sec Rotary turbos, and a mid 13 sec all stock SRT4. i am not new to this just curious. thanks to all how participate positively.

ull wanna stay in ur generations obd its much easier to swap try a 1st gen SiR. with the hondata situation im pretty sure theyre user specific and each ecu is dif, they ask u waht all is done when u send it in, so im sure they could do something to get around it. people do convert, its just that its less of a headache to not convert, the less hassle the better hence trhe reason people stay in their generation obd.no defending needed bro the dumb question is the one that isnt asked.

I have done a OBD0 to OBD1 conversion in my ex civic and it runs perfect, but it was a big headache. all the wiring and $hit, took me a while, I didn;t use the odb0-obd1 harness. but with the harness it is easier. My friend learned from me and bought the harness for his 91 hatch with b17.

As for the Hydro conversion, that is possible, but just more things to worry about, like drilling a holes through the fire wall for the clutch master. I think hasport got a conversion kit, heard it doesn' feel the same.

I got a 93 Xsi teg engine (b16a 2nd gen) with cable tranny ys1, great engine and tranny.

To answer you vss question. On my 1991 honda civic HB I did the OBD0 - OBD1 conversion my self and when i droped the tranny one day i forgot to unhook the speedo cable and it ripped out of the back of my a gauge cluster. When this happened I lost vtec. Come to find out there is a vss signal generater built into my guage cluster that sends the signal to the ecu. I know this becuase I work on cluster all day, every day. I looked up the specs on all data and sure enough the vss generater is built into the gauge cluster. so the cable not only turns the needle but it also turn the vss generator and all hondas are 4000 PPM (Pulses Per Mile) so just as long as your speedo works on your obdo car the obd1 computer will know how fast you are going.

thanks for the input all. i am not afraid of the wiring issue, been doing that stuff since before i was turning wrenches and my dad is a licensed electrician so that end of it isnt so bad. i also heard that the hasport setup kinda wrecks the clutch feel, i may just be ambitious enough to do a hydro swap but i have to decide where i am going with my current project. i am glad to hear that there is a vss built in kinda makes more sense to me yet, guess i should have studied the wiring scematics some more prior to asking! right now my debate is few and varied, i am debating a mini me swap with obd1 conversion and boost which is relatively inexpensive way to make my crx quick or possibly 91 ls which is easy buy i still have been contemplating an h22 with enjo mounts which is expensive as he11 but awe-inspiring.

Back