I am in a little need of advice...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xcrfx

OK, so heres the thing. I have a '89 crx dx. The little motor isn't enough for me, I want power and handling. So I am not too sure what I should do now. I was thinking about getting a b16a or zc swap, but I don't really want to go through the hastle for a few reasons, which I will explain in a minute. I was wondering if I should just get I/H/E,short shifter, and struts/shocks? Because, I think, it's not a definte yet, but possibly next summer I want to get a 2002 nissan ser :unsure: , so I guess my question is, Should I just stick with the rex and work on the power/handling issues (maybe a swap), or just do minor stuff for now and buy the ser. I just don't wanna dump a ton of money into the car if I am gonna be selling it in a year?! So any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

The I/H/E isn't going to really make the car any faster.

If you really like the SE-R's... then I'd save for that. Personally I've never liked the sentra's...
I'd rather do a b16a swap than get a sentra. But thats all up to you.

b18c with an ITR tranny into your whip would do nice, wiring won't be bad if you know what your doing. If not then send it out to get redone, simple as that.

Milan

Ya, I was thinking about it and I decided that I didn't want to get the ser. BUT, I am still not sure what to do. If I get the swap, I am gonna have to take it to a shop to have it done because I don't know enough to do it. If I decide to do this, can I just buy the engine and all that, and take it to them to put it in?And no, I don't know enough about wiring, so that is what I am most scared about doing. My dad knows tons about auto stuff, but mostly jeeps, so doesn't work well with Hondas. Well, any more advice to what I could do?I heard that I/H/E will improve over the entire gears, but a swap will provide more high end power...not sure???

i would be willing to bet that if you put a b16 into your CRX, you would have no ambition to buy a SER... my friend has one, and he is regularly beaten at the track by 4th-generation civics/crx's with b16's

SeR's are slow man, runnig 16's all day long. a b16a civic will run 14's. dont get ser's they are always dissapointing.

yeah, what he said :withstupid:

as for adding I/H/E to your D15b2 motor...here's my suggestion (and my setup):

get this:

1) K&N FIPK intake, or an RS Akimoto intake (those are really the only ones out there that will work with the 88-91 DX manifold)

2) 2.25" cat-back exhaust piping from a local muffler shop w/ any performance muffler of your choosing (i have a dynomax superturbo and it sounds and performs good...and with the 2.25" pipe upgrade, it only cost me $120 INSTALLED!)

3) DC sports 4-2-1 header (this is the ONLY header available for the 88-91 d15 engine)

4) lightweight wheels. mine are about 12lb.s each.

5) strip the hatch (remove cargo covers, spare tire, jack and jack tools. keep a can of fix-a-flat in your cargo bin)

do all that and you will have a pretty quick car. my self-timed 0-60 is about 6.8 seconds, and i dont have a short shifter. i can also beat other cars and trucks uphill too.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Aug 19 2003, 01:43 PM
yeah, what he said :withstupid:

as for adding I/H/E to your D15b2 motor...here's my suggestion (and my setup):

get this:

1) K&N FIPK intake, or an RS Akimoto intake (those are really the only ones out there that will work with the 88-91 DX manifold)

2) 2.25" cat-back exhaust piping from a local muffler shop w/ any performance muffler of your choosing (i have a dynomax superturbo and it sounds and performs good...and with the 2.25" pipe upgrade, it only cost me $120 INSTALLED!)

3) DC sports 4-2-1 header (this is the ONLY header available for the 88-91 d15 engine)

4) lightweight wheels. mine are about 12lb.s each.

5) strip the hatch (remove cargo covers, spare tire, jack and jack tools. keep a can of fix-a-flat in your cargo bin)

do all that and you will have a pretty quick car. my self-timed 0-60 is about 6.8 seconds, and i dont have a short shifter. i can also beat other cars and trucks uphill too.

Just out of curiosity... what does that D15 run? Mid 15?

Originally posted by racerxb20z@Aug 19 2003, 03:13 PM
more like mid 16's

I think a lot of single cams on this site would suprise you... I know I dipped down into the really high 14s with mine.... Driver does account for a lot.

i dont know. i havent run it at a track. i just might do that this weekend at the cali speedway. i hope to get a low 16...although i have no idea what it'll do. its actually pretty quick all the way to 90 (in third gear). i've beaten 2000+ civic ex's at freeway speeds and a lincoln navigator (lol).

Here's my experience with my D15B2 in my '91 CRX I had...

Brospeed exhaust added a LOT of power in the midrange. More than you'd think. Definetly worth the expense.

Kamikaze headers. These didn't do as much as the exhaust, but still made a difference up top. For $225, they're a hell of a deal. Throttle response was improved.

MPFI swap. After the bugs were worked out, it made quite a difference in the mid to top end. Throttle response was crisper, less bogging when floored, and it started quicker.

Si tranny. Goddamn, now we're talking! It was a little weird at first, having to shift so often, but it really woke the car up.

All these mods cost me about $675, and on an otherwise untouched '91 DX, allowed me to keep up with my friends stock '99 Si.

As for the SER, I can put you in touch with a friend that has one and he can tell you things about the car that'll make you want to run for the hills...

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 19 2003, 04:40 PM
Here's my experience with my D15B2 in my '91 CRX I had...

Brospeed exhaust added a LOT of power in the midrange. More than you'd think. Definetly worth the expense.

Kamikaze headers. These didn't do as much as the exhaust, but still made a difference up top. For $225, they're a hell of a deal. Throttle response was improved.

MPFI swap. After the bugs were worked out, it made quite a difference in the mid to top end. Throttle response was crisper, less bogging when floored, and it started quicker.

Si tranny. Goddamn, now we're talking! It was a little weird at first, having to shift so often, but it really woke the car up.

All these mods cost me about $675, and on an otherwise untouched '91 DX, allowed me to keep up with my friends stock '99 Si.

As for the SER, I can put you in touch with a friend that has one and he can tell you things about the car that'll make you want to run for the hills...

wow. i was so sure you were gonna clown my posts or something like that. thanks for sharing! :D a couple more things for the D15...

you can also get an AEM adj. cam gear (about $100) and lighten the flywheel.

Ya, I am for sure not gonna get an ser because I don't wanna deal with payments and crap like that. I mean really, for 15000 I could just get and b18c5 and supercharge it and get it into 12 or 11's. but ya, right now, im a junior in high school, so I dont have the money or time to get a swap.So, I think my best bet would maybe to take all your advice and get I/H/E,maybe get a vtec head,new wheels,and short shifter, and maybe a new tranny and clutch.I am thinking about getting the dpfi to mpfi swap.Right now, I live in Arizona, and we have NOO GAS.The places that do have 3 mile lines, so I can only drive to work and school and that keeps me from spending money so I can get this stuff sooner.Ok, well thanks for the advice and anymore that would help me out would be greatly appreciated.THANKS COREY.

Back