I love NIB magnets

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
I've had a few small NIB (neodymium iron boron) magnets for quite some time now... About the size of a button cell battery and very strong... Strong enough to put one on either side of your hand and have them stay, pull nails from several inches, demagnitize floppies at a distance, etc..

I bought a full size 60GB hard drive off ebay that ended up not working, and decided to take it apart for its magnets. :) This is no ordinary 3.5inch drive bay drive, it takes up two full size 5 1/4" drive bays and weighs about 10lbs...

Inside most hard drives are two powerful NIB magnets, but the ones inside this drive were FREAKING HUGE.

While taking them apart, they accidentally snapped together. Glad my hand wasn't there, or it would have been broken.

They're permanantly mounted on aluminum plates, which is a good thing, or they'd still be together now...

The only way I was able to get them apart was to put chain through the screw holes in the aluminum plates, tie one magnet to a beam in the garage, one to the tow hook of the Civic, and hit reverse.

I backed up slowly to be careful, and they stopped the motion of the car. :) I had to rev to a good 2000 rpms to get them to seperate!

Let's just say I'm never letting these magets near each other again...

It's fun to stick the sunday paper to the fridge though. :)

Yeah it does, they are probably the weakest magnets in the world, considering you were high. And if you aren't, get a life.

Someone needs a nap... :)

Anyway here's a picture of the full height hard drive:

49_1.JPG

And for Frankie, here's a little write up on NIB magnets...

http://www.gaussboys.com/zz_faq.php

The only magnets I like are the huge ass ones made my Acme, that the Coyote uses to catch the Road Runner. I want one of those big ass muta f'as.

NIB Magnets are probably better. :)

A few pictures of NIB magnets in action

My favorite picture:

dsk12-rail-tie.jpg

That's a 35lb piece of railroad railing.
The magnets I mentioned in the first post are about double the size of that one, and there are two to a plate. THAT'S why it took the car to pull them apart. :)

I work in strange science all the time, and I've noticed a few things about Magnet people.

Magnet people are strange, and have a poor sense of humor. They think it's funny that they can move metal shavings around, and they are all convinced that some sort of placement of them will create perpetual energy generators.

I'm a Tesla man myself, and Tesla people have a whole different range of psychosis. The moment we view a neat scientific principle we dream of ways to build Lex Luthor-grade super weapons and beam particle weapons. We believe the only thing the Magnet guys are missing from their perpetual energy machines is a touch of Tesla electrical field concept.

When we meet, the discussion will quickly devolve into a Star Wars vs Star Trek fight, and neither will ever back down to allow the two types of people to work.

Myself, I can break magnetic fields apart with a Farraday hit from a capacitor and a spool of wire. That'll get em apart.

But in the meantime, The device has created an EMP that will surely damage your microwave oven (Which we know is only used to warm up Burritos and create J. Naudin plasma fields) and your Civic (Which has had at one point, a jar with water and two carriage bolts for electrolysis to somehow burn Hydrogen and Oxygen into the air mixture)

Those are my obversations, I could be wrong. Thank you and good night !

-> Steve

Tesla, is actually pretty cool, just not going to be sweating up my ball sack messing with either one of those things.

yeah those magnets are bad ass, i have a set of them from an old 80meg drive from 1991. Haha I remember my pops paid 1000 bucks for 80 megs of hard drive space in the early 90's. Yeah i stll have the magnets however i do not think they are quite as strong as the ones you have, but they are still super strong magnets.

Hey i have a few old HD's, where are they at inside. Do i jsut bust them open?

I think those are the ones my old Physics teacher showed us. he had one smaller than a dime, a little thicker, and that shit could pick up a lot of heavy shit.

cool. i like Tesla too. especially that one song they did, "i remember you". they weren't exactly Poison or Skid Row, but they still rocked.

I agree with Celerity and DarkHand 100%. :lol:

Looks like I need to start taking apart hard drives again instead of just tossing them. I have enough dead extras lying around...

:lmao:

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 21 2003, 01:03 AM
I agree with Celerity and DarkHand 100%. :lol:

Looks like I need to start taking apart hard drives again instead of just tossing them. I have enough dead extras lying around...

:lmao:

mail me a few! see if it'll fuck up the mail machene!! :lol:

Back