I need help deciding on engines!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Huffman4242

I really need help deciding which engine swap to do, the b18c GSR or the b18c5 type R engine. I know most of the differences with the Type R but is it and the transmission it comes with really worth the almost $2000 more for it? The car its going in is a 94 Honda Civic. Or would I be better off using the 2 grand and putting that money in the GSR and its tranny?

Last edited:
If you have the money to pay for the ITR engine buy the GSR swap and put the extra money into building that up.

how much better is the GSR engine gonna be over the ITR if i go with it and put 2 grand in it?

Type R - 195 hp

GSR - 175 hp

Then you add i/h/e, performance chip for ecu, maybe cams. It won't take much. i/h/e alone could possibly equal the type r.

I would go GSR and put the extra 2K into bolt ons for it. You can get a header, air intake and intake manifold, larger throttle body and exhaust if you can source some used parts. With that you might make a bit more power than a Type R.....maybe. But hey If you got the money, rock the Type R for more wow factor. If you plan on leaving the internals stock hit up the Type R. Did my advice just flip?

Might as well just swap the pistons and cams on the GSR engine, and then you would already have more power than the ITR for less money. Screw a 'performance chip' it will do nothing for you.

A set of agressive cams, high comp. pistons, and a 2.5" header back exhaust should get you 20+ HP easy before tuning.

Back