I need help popping my axle out!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MarkJimenez99

Here's an illustration and the tools I tried to use. I'm trying to replace just the drive shaft with the two cv boots.
It just won't separate from the half-shaft (or whatever you call the other piece)

I really need help! This thing is just stuck in there and won't budge at all.

s4050798dc350f.jpg

s405079c150923.jpg

well, captain obvious says "if you didn't on bolt the other side from the hub..."
lol

assuming you have that done, pull. thats all thats holding it in.

if its stuck, pull harder.

if its still stuck, go to the gym, and try again :)

None of those tools worked even the crow bar. It's really stuck on there. Isn't there a special tool you can use specifically to separate the axle from the shaft?

So you think the ball-joint separator will work? I don't know. It seems like it's really stuck on there.

I keep hearing how you guys say how easy it is to pop it out. How do you guys do it? Any addditional help would be great.

I might just take it to the shop and have them replace the axle. Damn! :(

big fucking hammer and 1/2" extension 6" long or equivalant piece of metal. this works for me every time. and just pulling isnt a good idea cause if you pop the joint off the shaft you might get charged for the core.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 11 2004, 11:18 AM
well, captain obvious says "if you didn't on bolt the other side from the hub..."
lol

assuming you have that done, pull. thats all thats holding it in.

if its stuck, pull harder.

if its still stuck, go to the gym, and try again :)

Yes, I did unbolt the other side from the hub. However, I didn't drain the tranny fluid and loosen the bolts connecting to the half shaft. I don't need to because I don't need to replace it-just the freakin axle.

Believe me, I've pulled, but it's not even moving. Where am I supposed to pull it by the way?

I'd like to see you try. :lol: It's really stubborn.

The last time I did it, I removed the whole driveshaft assembly from the tranny.

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA@Mar 11 2004, 11:24 AM
big fucking hammer and 1/2" extension 6" long or equivalant piece of metal. this works for me every time. and just pulling isnt a good idea cause if you pop the joint off the shaft you might get charged for the core.

I haven't tried the big F**kn hammer idea yet. Maybe that will work? I hope so because it seems like that's my last hope. I think it's too late about popping the joint off the shaft. <_< I'm pretty sure it's already outta there. :unsure:

It's still under warranty so I'm sure they'll take it regardless.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Keep em coming.

I had issues getting an axel off my `88 tranny...of course the engine way out of the car. But for some reason it kept getting stuck on there every time I went to take it off, but if I tipped the tranny up on its side it came out with a light tug. Maybe the cv joint at the tranny needs to be slightly elevated??? Guessing? Have a freind push up on it or put a jack under it, see if that helps.

:werd: slip something between in the inner CV joint and half shaft case and pry that bitch out of there-

Originally posted by cheese9988@Mar 11 2004, 11:43 AM
I had issues getting an axel off my `88 tranny...of course the engine way out of the car. But for some reason it kept getting stuck on there every time I went to take it off, but if I tipped the tranny up on its side it came out with a light tug. Maybe the cv joint at the tranny needs to be slightly elevated??? Guessing? Have a freind push up on it or put a jack under it, see if that helps.

Yeah, I tried that trick. Also, I'm not trying to remove the whole assembly so I'm not trying to remove it from the tranny. The drive shaft is connected to the tranny which connects to the axle. I used a jack to lift the inboard cv joint a little. Hmmmm, maybe I jacked it too much? I'll try that again and pull t out.

Thanks for helping.

Originally posted by crazylxracer@Mar 11 2004, 11:58 AM
Go to Pepboys or some auto parts store and they should sell axle pry bars. I think they were $15 but made it hella easy

Axle pry bars? That sounds like that's what I need. Thanks.

Mark, this sounds stupid but it always works for me... took me a few days of trial and error to figure it out too, and then someone on the Houston boards told me to try it.

Get a pipe wrench!

Wrap that sucker around the axle joint between the cup and the transmission housing (or half shaft), make sure the jaws are semi-snug, then just give the handle a swift kick. It works every time. The jaws are just wide enough to take up all the space between the joint cup and the diff housing, so it will knock it loose. The problem with your pry bars and everything else is that they aren't thick enough.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 11 2004, 12:07 PM
Mark, this sounds stupid but it always works for me... took me a few days of trial and error to figure it out too, and then someone on the Houston boards told me to try it.

Get a pipe wrench!

Wrap that sucker around the axle joint between the cup and the transmission housing (or half shaft), make sure the jaws are semi-snug, then just give the handle a swift kick. It works every time. The jaws are just wide enough to take up all the space between the joint cup and the diff housing, so it will knock it loose. The problem with your pry bars and everything else is that they aren't thick enough.

That's not a stupid idea. Actually, I tried that with regular pliers, but they were too small. Do you think a vise script will work. The pipe wrench does sounds better though. Thanks.

Originally posted by MarkJimenez99@Mar 11 2004, 12:13 PM
That's not a stupid idea. Actually, I tried that with regular pliers, but they were too small. Do you think a vise script will work. The pipe wrench does sounds better though. Thanks.

Yeah, your pliers probably just aren't thick enough. If you can find a set of vise grips that are thick enough to fill the gap, then yeah- that will probably work too. I'm just not too comfortable kicking the handle of a set of spring loaded vise grips. Plus, a pipe wrench is a lot more simple and more durable than a multi-linkage wrench with a big spring in it... I don't feel bad about kicking one of those. You'll get more leverage with a long pipe wrench handle too.

Sorry, I meant "Vise-Grips." I wasn't thinking when I wrote that.

Yeah, I think the pipe wrench is the best idea yet. Thank you!

None of your ideas worked. I had my friend come over to try and yank it and it didn't move at all. We even tried a jack and that didn't work either. So I had no choice, but to remove the whole driveshaft and axle together.

Fortunately, I was able to separate the axle from the shaft by using a hammer. I found out that there was a ring embedded into the shaft which was slightly sticking out which explains why it was so hard to pull it out. The ring locks the axle and shaft together. So I pulled it outta there so I wouldn't have this problem again. :p

Back