I need help with my capacitor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NWDRVRBWE

Hands Off my Balls
when i got my audio system i originally did not have a capacitor. my lights kept flicking all over the place, and i knew that a capacitor would help this problem.
so i will lay the basics of what i have for you.
~ i bought a 2 farad cap.
~ i have 6 gauge wire running into it (and throughout my car/amp).
the install was no problem, however im not sure if i have completed everything correctly.

i didnt charge my capacitor when i got it originally. i have no idea how to do this. and if i dont do this will it significantly impact the effectiveness of my capacitor?

then, when i turn my car off, my capacitor remains on. is it suposed to be doing that? will that be draining my battery?

Best way to quickly charge the cap is by using a 12v bulb. Connect the pos to pos on the cap, one end of the light bulb on the cap's neg and the other end to the ground on the car. You will see the light bulb turn on and then few seconds later turn off. That will idicate a fully charged cap.

But if you need a cap you probally should upgrade your wiring too 4 guage should do it. got some if your interested rockford fosgate... lemme know

im not sure what you mean.... connect my positive to the cap. then the cap to a lightbulb? then the bulb to the negative for a complete circuit.?
my cap has a digital reader so i supose i would know when its done charging.... i dont think thats a problem.
however, the reader will never go over 14.2...... and i dont really know what this means any way......

the digital readout on the top shows how many volts it has and 14 volts is what it shows when the xar is running and charging and the readout out should turn off a few mins after you turn your switch and radio off and you really need to upgrade them wires it will help out alot trust me i got to take out my own capacitor and charge it back up cause mines starting the same crap yours is doin but mines due to my alternator goin bad and not charging good

mine works great and its only 1 farad. it stays on for 5 mins or so after my car is off. a capacitor is basically a mini battery so dont worry about it being on

no, you really have no need for it to go over 14 either. easy example why

cap is sitting at 14
amp struggles for a sec
cap pushes 5-10 maybe 1 maybe 14 for as long as it needs it(usually jsut a second or so)
cap is recharged

Back