I quit my first career yesterday.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my car is built, lol. i have no parts to buy. i need money to PAY BILLS. sure after bills i have some left over but that usually goes to fixing something on my car that i use for driving (wear and tear caused by working as a driver in the first place) or groceries, or gas or things a long those lines. im just tired of dealing with the BS at my current job and for the money they pay me, i dont see it being worth it. ive been thinking about working at best buy or something in the warehouse stocking shelves or something or maybe working at a shop working on cars, i dunno. i know what my time is worth, and it sure as hell isnt 5.75/hr.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: I can see you POV and if I were in your position, I'd be thinking the same thing. But you're actually asking for TOO much. I'm a manager and I take some management courses also, and let me tell you, if I had some someone say anything along those lines, I'd probably have to let them go.

Most companies give a certain amount of sick days, including pizza hut, mcd, whatever, it doesn't matter. Put yourself in their position and think how they're going to look at you, why should they give you special treatment? They could be sacrificing business, they could be losing money, even if they have someone to replace you, they're supposed to treat employees equally which is one of the reasons they set the guidelines..You're an employee just like everyone else at your level, I can't say for sure, but some of the other people probably have family out of state also and they'd get the same amount of sick/holiday days as you..

You're a college student, so you have to put some priorities first, which is understandable but you can't expect a company to bend the rules and give you a handicap just for that.

i won't work for less than 20/hr... so i feel your pain/situation. its not worth my time for any less than that. i'll run some side jobs up, doing some free lance work for 50 here, 100 there for a couple hours of work.

wel when they hired me, i told them that i would be unavailable to work holidays for that exact reason. i was told it wouldnt be a problem. thats what kind of pisses me off, why tell me one thing then do another?

and the sick days. what sick days? if i tried to call in sick, legitimate or not, if i couldnt get someone to cover my shift before hand, they would fire you. ive seen it happen. plus the management where i work holds a lot of double standards, and it seems to be (cant say completely) men vs women. for example, a few weeks ago a girl that works there (driver) called 30 mins before her shift saying she was sick and that she wasnt comming in. manager didnt even ask he to cover the shift, just said ok. all the while it got slamed and i was the only driver and had to work twice as hard just because she didnt come in. granted she was really sick, but if it was a guy, hed be fired. again ive seen it happen. its just getting rediculous. ill probably end up staying here, but only because i wont find another job that pays this good around here. (making anywhere from 50-100 a day on top of my paycheck).

wel when they hired me, i told them that i would be unavailable to work holidays for that exact reason. i was told it wouldnt be a problem. thats what kind of pisses me off, why tell me one thing then do another?

and the sick days. what sick days? if i tried to call in sick, legitimate or not, if i couldnt get someone to cover my shift before hand, they would fire you. ive seen it happen. plus the management where i work holds a lot of double standards, and it seems to be (cant say completely) men vs women. for example, a few weeks ago a girl that works there (driver) called 30 mins before her shift saying she was sick and that she wasnt comming in. manager didnt even ask he to cover the shift, just said ok. all the while it got slamed and i was the only driver and had to work twice as hard just because she didnt come in. granted she was really sick, but if it was a guy, hed be fired. again ive seen it happen. its just getting rediculous. ill probably end up staying here, but only because i wont find another job that pays this good around here. (making anywhere from 50-100 a day on top of my paycheck).

It's all true. 2 years of pizza experience with 1.5 driving, I know exactly what he's talking about.

I can't believe you guys are riding his ass calling him immature because of the policies pizza hut carries... hell those are the same with any pizza places.

No. I just brought up he could look into other alternatives. But he doesn't even want to work one weekend day. Sat or sunday. not even both. He's talking about bills to pay like gas is a lot and wear and tear on a car. In other words luxuries. To me this is is like saying I work, but I don't want to work as much and I want to get paid more. Does he have any skills/talents/trades that will net him more money? Or does he just want to be in a job where he gets paid more money, choses when he works and calls it a day whenever? and has tons of holiday time? I wish it worked that well for me a few years ago when I was barely making it. Like Brian(92civicb18b1) said. Put yourself in their shoes. Why should they pay you 3-4dollars more an hour versus all the other college kids?

Putting food and a roof over my head are the bills I work for. Tuition is second to that. But it all gets paid here.

I'm a legitimate framer for a residential company. I work mon-wed-fri for a company and on the weekends I do side jobs. I won't even get out of bed for less than $20/hr cash on a weekend, but that's how I make it. I got lucky at a young age though so I've been acquiring skill after skill and now I'm legit on a trade.

i'm about to rant....

I started this thread to talk about me quitting my career and it turned into a bitch fest about hours and not getting benefits. fuck, ask anybody here who was in the military about how bad life can suck.

I was 4,000 miles away from home. working 14 hour days, 6 days a week. outside, with no lunch breaks, tired as fuck. Sick day? what's a sick day? you don't get sick in wartime. who cares if it's a holiday. Hussein and Bin laden don't celebrate our holidays. Oh, and i was 18-22 while i was in the military. I had to suck it up. I was far from home, you can't exactly fly home for the weekend or go home for my sisters birthday or grandfathers funeral. hmmm, the shit i missed out on serving my country. oh yeah, i couldn't pay for shit either because we didn't get fucking paid anything. so what did i do, i got out of the air force after 4 years and stepped into something else.

what did i get into...oh yeah, full time school, often 20 credits per quarter. while working 50-60 hours a week. so lets see, between work and school and homework that's about 100 hours a week i had to do shit.

it sounds like the bitching is about social life and fun. i haven't had a social life in years. i wish i could. people can bitch about their jobs all they want, but would you want to trade with me? i don't think so. i work my fucking ass off, always have. i wish i could go sit my happy ass in the dorms or a nice little apartment and get drunk and bang college bitches. if you guys want shit to suck. take night classes where you go into work at 6 or 7 and work until 5 in the afternoon. then go to school until 10 or 11. go to bed around midnight and do it all again the next day. that's when you can start bitching.

rant over...

id rather take night classes. but they arent offered at night, so i cant. i have to take morning classes and theres nothing i can do about it. if i could take night clases, i would, and get a real job. but because of school, i cant work til about 4. which limits where and what i can do.

no one is arguing the military is tough. everyone knows that. and if i was put in the same situation i could do it just as easily. and i garantee your military pay and the pay at your 50-60hr/week job was more then 5.75/hr. this isnt washington state which has the highest min wage in the country (something like 7.25ish right?) i know when you have to just suck something up, but if you can do something about it, then why not? and about your last sentence (getting up early, working, class, sleep. repeat) thats more or less what i do. only flipped. i have classes in the morning til late afternoon, go straight to work til about 11, homework, sleep.

and slammed, you misinterpreted my reasoning for not working weekends. theres a few reasons. i used to work weekends at this place. but after about 2 months straight of ALWAYS being schedueled weekends and never being allowed off, i had enough. i need time to do my homework/study (which is easily 2-3times my course hours for engineering classes). so i told them i was unavailable to work. i have no problems working weekends. just this job. and about skills. i have plenty. i can do just about anything. very mechanically inclined, and im smarter then virtually all the people that work there. but non of that matters at a pizza place.

thats why im going to college. cause im tired of weak paying jobs like this. they arent worth it.
i just cant wait til i get my degrees then get payed WAY more.

oh and nick, im sorry for taking the thread OT, it wasnt my intention.

I love it when people willingly sign up for the military, and then complain about how hard it is for them, like they're hero's making a huge sacrifice for our country. (Not necessarily you, nick, but i live near a military base). They want special treatment because they are "patriots serving our country". I see this as a huge crock of shit. They signed up to do a job, and are getting paid well and given good benefits to do it. If they had been drafted to defend American soil, it would be different, but they're just working for a corporation just like any pizza chef or burger flipper. They are as much "American Hero's" as the guy who asks me if i want fries with that.
/rant

I love it when people willingly sign up for the military, and then complain about how hard it is for them, like they're hero's making a huge sacrifice for our country. (Not necessarily you, nick, but i live near a military base). They want special treatment because they are "patriots serving our country". I see this as a huge crock of shit. They signed up to do a job, and are getting paid well and given good benefits to do it. If they had been drafted to defend American soil, it would be different, but they're just working for a corporation just like any pizza chef or burger flipper. They are as much "American Hero's" as the guy who asks me if i want fries with that.
/rant
well, i'm sorry you feel that way. i admit, i signed up for it and don't ask for any special treatment. but one of the things i didn't sign up for was working 84 hour weeks and making the same as some douche bag that doesn't do shit and makes the same. we did not get paid very well. i was taking home about $2000/month. lets see, that comes out to about $6.75/hr for a job i went to school for a year to learn how to do.

i don't ask for anything special. and if getting a lunch break and a weekend off to attend my grandfathers funeral is too much, well fuck me with a lunch box and put me on a street corner.

Sounds like you're not military anymore. Leaving the military was probly the best decision you could have made. If you signed up to serve our country,then i applaude your good intentions, but there are much better ways of serving your fellow Americans than to make blind sacrifices for the profit of politicians and oil moguls. Look out for number one, that's the American Way.

MD min. wage is $6.15....

DOL WHD: Minimum Wage Laws in the States

You might wanna check out monster or careerbuilder if you're ready for a job change, even for a minor change. Even bank tellers usually get paid at least 1.5x the min. wage and given you don't have a breach of trust crime, they hire almost anyone.

I really hope you don't think you're gonna bust out of college with an engineering degree and land a 60k/yr job.

um with 2 engineering degrees, i better. besides, that about what the out of college rate for my major is anyway. at least thats what all my professors tell me. hell B16 on here landed like 80k out of college. and im probably gonna just end up staying here for now. just wanted to rant about it. really theres no job out there that can work with my available hours. most places are early morning to mid afternoon/evening. i just cand do that cause i have school during that time. no one else is open til 10-11 besides the min. paying jobs really.

and im working in WV, not MD. i go to WVU.

Ahhh, that clears everything up.

If you said you were in WV, I wouldn't have even questioned the Pizza Hut job. WV is not exactly an ideal part of the country to find work.

If you get out of college and get yourself a great job, well, good for you, but you have to remember, you have the schooling, you might even have some type of experience in the field. But companies don't usually just throw 60K at an entry level engineer.

Then again, I don't know jack shit about aero engineering, but I have a hard time believing even a company in that field can afford to give an entry level employee 60k/yr.

I actually admire your high hopes, but you should probably set you goal a little lower, something a little more realistic, that way when/if you don't see that 60k a year, you're not completely discouraged and you might not be as far away from your goal as could be at 60k.

You can't base your success on someone elses, I don't care what anyone tells you, they're lying and that's a road to failure.

^^^I wish you the best of luck.
I wish i had the chance to study engineering.
I chose some stupid major, but, i minored in physics.
I wish i had furthered myself in physics and coupled it with an engineering background.
I agree, coming out of college, dont expect a grand job, you have to start from the bottom up.
In your case, your chances are better than the next man with an engineering degree. y0.

Im sick of my current job.
I work at a hotel in NYC.
I'm 26, i have student loans which are the bloody ropes that pull me back from doing things i want.
I want a radical career change, but i dont know what it is...

...i need some inspiration.

Construction Management with a minor in business management.

I've been told by my dad's buddy at Howard S. Wright I'm looking at 70-80k all day coming out with no experience in the field. But with experience (I'm working on it, but I have a lot so far) I have a lot more bargaining room. I guess its nuts. When the students get out of college, they get bid on like livestock by the big firms.

Unfortunately, I'm in a similar boat as 2000si. My dad has a company, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to run it when I get out of college.

I passed on running my dad's business. Easily a multi-million dollar a year business but you get what you put in.

Back