I want a Mac... And I'm making my PC a mac... :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

So I was at my sisters house today, and her boyfriend has a 17" Macbook Pro... 2ghz, 2gb ram, bluetooth, all the stuff..

Its been a few years since i've handled a mac... and wow... The quality of everything just bedazzled me... How everything is intertwined and included is just amazing... From iChat to Email to photos... The thing has Shock Sensors to freeze the hard drive if you ever drop it!!!

The best part is, IT JUST WORKS...

The old man has been debating getting some macs for people in the company to try out... I'm hoping I can get one... :x

To make my PC a little more mac, I installed ObjectDock by Stardock...
Stardock: ObjectDock - Organize shortcut and tasks onto a customizable dock

Get rid of the start bar, and everything is right in front of you...

Another bling feature of the mac was the fullscreen window switching... I implemented this using Reflex Vision.
http://www.reflexvision.net/

Mac has some killer kickass features, and the video resolutions and refresh rates are just AMAZING...
The ambient light detectors for the backlit keyboards are pretty bling too.

ReflexVision is neat, but I prefer multiple desktops... something Windows and Mac haven't figured out fully.

I'd probably 'Too a Macbook if I ever got ahold of one.

Flyakite looks pretty damn trick, but kinda permanent and difficult to remove...

I can't go too in depth... it is a company laptop after all...

I have everything that you listed on my IBM T42p running Linux and I promise it cost less than the Mac by a bundle. If you ablsolutely have to have a Core 2 Duo, get the T60p. Macs are not worth the price.

mac ftw. hence the avatar.

i dont know if i can really afford a 2,000 dollar laptop right now, though.

Flyakite looks pretty damn trick, but kinda permanent and difficult to remove...

I can't go too in depth... it is a company laptop after all...

its neither. each OSX "option" uninstalls on its own so you can pick and choose which options you like. i have it on my home system, and my system at work. ive recommended it to our mac users who utilize PCs at home.

ehhh... bang for the buck portable maybe... but not balls out DB Power.

Absolutely it is. There were several benchmarks dones when HT first appeared and because of the shared cache, they were actually slower for databases and webservers than the non-HT counterpart. HT was a complete failure and the only place where Dual core is not better is when you run an OS with a crappy scheduler (think XP). For that matter I would be willing to bet that my Pentium M running at 2.0 GHz is just as fast, if not faster than what ever P4 HT you have and my batteries last longer than 40 minutes :) .

Actually, I had a Thinkpad P4M 1.6ghz, and this P4 3.0 w/ HT blows it away. Load times are faster, local queries run faster. Just seems like an overall better laptop.

THe P4M is junk, the Pentium M (aka Centrino) is a much better processor.

The comparison isn't worth much without knowing more about both machines like: amount and speed of RAM, hard disk speed, hard disk bus, etc.

my laptop WELL out performs my desktop (hence why gave the desktop to my dad).

the laptop is a 1.6GHz Pentium M, the desktop is a Prescott Core P4 3.0GHz. Crazy cache and bus speed make reiko smile

That has been my experience as well.

Standard issue laptop harddrive doesn't mean much. My Toshiba laptop issued with a 4200 RPM drive with very little cache (I dumped that disk for a better on immediately). My IBM came with w 5400 RPM drive with more cache so even if the other specs were the same, the IBM would load faster because of a faster disk.

Anyways, there are benchmarks available that prove the P4 HT is slower at most things than the Pentium M.

I have a 2.0ghz dual core intel macbook and I love it. If I really need to run a windows program, there is Parellels desktop that allows you to run a virtual computer of OSX and windows XP or any other OS you want at the same time. Download parallels as well as a XP lite version of Windows (stripped down with no added on ms shit (msn, windows messenger, ect) of of bit torrent (as well as any other program you ever need) and you'll never regret getting a mac.

I've had object dock for over a year now. I love it. And I have desktop X so I have floating windows, and stuff. I also have a 1.87 Pentium M in my Dell 700m with a gig of ram it hauls balls. I have about 15 windows open at once when browsing, inbetween classes and such and it never bogs down. Hell I convert videos a lot to ipod format, and I have that in the background, no problems.

I love my centrino.

Last edited:
Back