I Want To Pull Some Ponies Out Of My D16y7

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, everyone... after about 20 hours the Mini-me swap is done... I had a slight problem. We put more coolant in, and found a coolant hose (from line above PCV valve to bottom of throttlebody) that wasn't tightened down enough. After I fixed that, I turned the key to the ON position and next found a gas leak (from the fuel pressure regulator). Replaced the missing O-ring and was ready to test it again. Key turned to the ON position... we wait... no leaks, no funny smells; hit the clutch and started the car. My LX throttle cable is too short so it's like I started with my foot on the gas and it idled up real high (about 3000 rpm). I only let it run for about 2 seconds cause my friend is yelling "Turn it off, your timing isn't right!" I'm pretty sure it sounded funny because that other head was pretty dry (even after pouring a little more oil on the valves and cam). It didn't explode or anything and it hasn't locked up. I was and still am a little worried about the vacuum lines but I think I've got them correct.

My car runs a little funky and it idles rough but it started and ran. I have to get an EX throttle cable so the throttle body is closed when the engine is off and try again. I didn't change the timing belt or the crank pulley. I marked the timing belt and cam before sliding the belt off the cam and I put it back, lining it up with the marks. I'm scared to start it again. I looked at my friend's EX and noticed the hose from the purge tank (black canister against firewall on passenger side) goes to this black box thing in front of the intake manifold (96+ EX), the PCV valve (below coolant line) also goes to this same box and then into the intake manifold. Am I seeing things or is that correct? I have a Z6 intake manifold (the holes are plugged up), Y8 head and Y7 block in case that helps.

I want to thank EVERYONE for the writeups and links. I probably wouldn't have done it without some help. :worthy:

We let the car run for about 5 minutes today... it surges really bad. I wasn't able to install the EX throttle cable yet but we disconnected it completely and it still surges. When the throttle body was open it didn't surge. It's also got this really loud valve clatter and when the revs go down, like it's going to idle and there's this high pitched whine...

Anyone have any ideas? :unsure:

Back