i was so close....please help :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by brian11to1@Aug 21 2004, 08:45 PM
could the coil be going bad?
[post=380126]Quoted post[/post]​

its brand new

Checking the coil/ignitor isn't a bad idea, and I was tempted to say plug too, but being intermitent doesn't seem like it would be, but hey it takes five minutes and will rule one more thing out. On the other hand it is very possible a small piece of debris made its way into the motor, but I wouldn't pull the head especially with a good comp check until all else had failed

some white smoke indicates water ie coolant in the combustion chamber

replaced the ignitor on a suggestion from honda-tech and the car seems to be fixed. not getting my hopes up though. but ive let it idle for 20 mins straight, drove it around, pulled to redline, peelled out, cruised at constant speed and everything seems normal. maybe i fixed it, maybe my car is just having a good day :shrug2: but ive had no more symptoms of my previous problem and the car even starts better. thanks for everyones help :)

Originally posted by whiteLS@Sep 4 2004, 02:06 PM
have you checked for good fuel pressure?
[post=386093]Quoted post[/post]​

not yet. i dont have a guage for it. how do i check the pressure without a guage

my car was idleing the same way like that too. i checked the injectors and there was coolent in them. changed the headgasket and everything turned out ok.

main relay is new, however i will try putting it back the old one (replaced the main relay cause i had a no start situation and it ended up being the coil)

and i checked the o2 sensor today by disconnecting it completely. problem still happened so its nnot that either :( this sucks.

ok so i just went out to check for fuel and spark. what i found was interesting. i first start the car up and let it run. its running bad like ususal cause it just died on me, so im listening to the injectors pulse with a screwdriver and even when the car stumbles, the clicking is constant, non of them miss a beat. so i whip out the timing light to see if im getting spark at the wires, heres where it gets interesting. i hook it up and pull the trigger and wait for the car to stumble. when it does, the light stops flashing. i check the rest of the wires and they all do it. so my spark is cutting in and out when hot.

best i can figure is that my coil is bad. the NEW coil. i have replaced everything in the dizzy, but when i replaced the coil, i got it from advanced auto parts, not honda. so it could very well be the problem. i was against checking the coil because it was new, but i guess you really cant trust a new part unless its from honda. im gonna try to head to the dealer tomorrow if they are open and get a new coil. if not ill have to wait til i come home again. ill keep it updated.

bringing it back to FINALLY put it to rest lol.

updates. today i got a chance to work on the car for a whole day. it was such a nice day too :). anyway i got my hands on a ECU and a distributor from a friend. first i replaced the ECU. it was a p28 with a conservative hondata tune on it. put it in and took it for a ride. seemed to drive better and didnt misfire or hesitate when flooring it at low rpms, but with no load it still did it. so then i swapped out the distributor for the one i borrowed as well. swapped it out and everything was perfect. then i replaced the stock ecu to make sure it wasnt bad and that it was soley the distributor. did that and everything was still perfect i drove it for about 45 mins straight with no problems whatsoever. thank god this is over.

i dont know what was wrong with it but something in there is messed up. maybe faulty internal wiring, maybe a bad bearing, maybe some bad sensors, who knows. i have a new distributor on its way and itll be here in a few days and i can have my car back again :)

thank you everyone who helped me out with this. now you can all sleep well at night :)

gsr cluster (99% done have to wire up the speedo, and secure it)
B16 tranny and new clutch (probably wont be til spring unless i can get a garage)

then im gonna save up to fix the imperfections in the body. ill need new doors (well at least the drivers side) fix the rust and probably gonna get the JDM front end on it. i love the JDM front conv. for the crx. then ill get it painted with a fresh coat of the stock color. but thats easily another year in the making :)

and who knows after that or if it will even make it that far.

Back