Idle Hunting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Canadian_GSR

Ok so heres the story.

when I start my car after it has cooled down, it runs up to about 4000rpm and then down to about 800, and then back up and down, basically cycling between the 2 every 2 seconds for about 5 minutes while idling. Then it gradually gets lower and lower ie......... 3500rpm - 800rpm, 3000rpm - 800 rpm basically down like that until it finally stops doing it, but it takes quite a while to stop, and its quite embarassing. It will finally idle normally once everything is up to normal operating temperatures and the car has lined out. This has been going on now for a few months and its starting to be really hard on the clutch and with the cold weather approaching im not wanting my car revving that high when its so cold. So ive had the motor in for about 2 years so im sure its not an install problem and my mechanic buddy is sure its not a sensor anywhere, anyone have any thoughts or previous experience they can share??
oh its a 95 b18c engine in my 95 dx civic.

ICV

idle control....its behind the head by the thottle body.....take it out and clean it with parts cleaner

I had the same thing with my C1, I cleaned the screens out with carb cleaner, moved the lil plunger back and forth and threw it back on. It returned again after a month or so and replaced it. Problem solved. It's just a couple of 12mm's and a couple hoses but the part with my discount cost me about 160 bucks.

Back