idling problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Banshee350

I got a 96 civic lx. i parked her for a year then when i got er on the go again, after she warms up and goes into low idle her idling goes up and down over and over again. engine light is on and obd 2 says the o2 sensor heater is bad. p 0141. but i don't think that makes any difference to her idling.. so i'm not sure what to check. any ideas?

i checked the filters, fuel pressure, plugs and wires, can't find any vac leaks, the injectors fires kinda quick untill she revs up high, then cut out untill shes goes pretty low then start firing again till shes high.

I've seen this happen alot on hondas put into storage. 1st. try taking it on a nice long drive, the coolant sometimes gunks up in the idle valve and may free up after a nice long drive, if not the #2 replace idle valve and coolant.

yea i took her for a nice long drive probably like 1500 kms in all in hopes that she would clear up. i never bleed the cooolant system though, i guess she might be air locked in the idle valve. probably wouldn't hurt to clean it and bleed the system. is the idle vlave under the throttle body?

yea i took her for a nice long drive probably like 1500 kms in all in hopes that she would clear up. i never bleed the cooolant system though, i guess she might be air locked in the idle valve. probably wouldn't hurt to clean it and bleed the system. is the idle vlave under the throttle body?

Not sure on the civic, try looking for a bleeder on the thermostat housing, but definately bleed this system, air trapped in the idle valve will cause an irradic idle.

Last edited:
Bleed Cooling System
Without Bleed Bolt
The late ’95 and ’96 Civics have no cooling system
bleed bolt on the thermostat housing like past models.
When refilling the cooling system, use this procedure to
remove trapped air:
1. Fill the coolant reservoir to the “MAX” mark.
2. With the temperature control lever in the “hot”
position, fill the radiator to the base of the filler
neck, and loosely install the radiator cap.
3. Start the engine, and let it run until the radiator fan
comes on at least twice.
4. Stop the engine, remove the radiator cap, and refill
the radiator to the base of the filler neck.

5. Install the radiator cap tightly.

Here's an article from Honda that should help you bleed your system.
If you Feelin the info, Rep me up!!!!!

Back