ignition problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

delsolproject112

hey guys i have a 91 civic dx and i was driving last night and all of a sudden i lost all power...now my car wont stay running you have to hold the key on start for it to run...i did some research and found that it could be a main rely or my ignition switch. any way to find out which it actually is? or any advice would be great..thanks

that just happened to me about a month ago at most but i changed the main relay and it wasnt the problem then i changed my ignitor and that was it but to check the ignitor
1. remove distributor cap and the icm cover
2. disconnect the wires from the icm unit
3. with the ignition key turned on check for voltage between the black/yellow wire (middle terminal of the ICM unit) and body ground. there should be a battery voltage
4. if there is no voltage check the circuit between the black/yellow wire and the ignition switch
5. with the ignition key turned on check for voltage between the white/blue wire and the body ground. there should be battery voltage
6. if there is no voltage check the circuit between the corresponding wire and the ignition coil
7. check the continuity between the white/blue wire and the blue wire of the ICM. there should be 1.1 to 3.3 k-ohms
8. if the ICM fails either of the above checks replace it

also when you turn the key right before start when the dash lights are suppose to go on the lights do not go on but the radio and heater do?

Back