I'm buying a sport bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I agree with jeffie, the ninja 500 is a perfect starter bike if you want to get into riding sport bikes. It has more than enough pep for a beginner and will pull the front end right off if you know how, or want to. It sits very closely to my cbr, just a little lower and not as laid forward.

Its a very comfortable bike, cheap on insurance and overall purchasing price, and great resale value. I dont think theres a better beginner bike out there.

My friend has one and can easily keep up with me on my cbr, my friend on his 05 r6, and everyone else while we cruise around on the streets

:thumbsup: for the ninja 500r / 500 ex

edit: and take the msf course to get your license, its a great class that everyone should take even if you've been riding dirtbikes/quads/whatever all your life

I went to Shaws the other day to go food shopping, picked up the newes issue of motor cyclist, they were doing a review on 6 bikes, Triumph has a new 636cc inline 3... it looks a lot better than the "jap" bikes, everyone was sayin how the motor sounds better but didnt describe it... does a 3 sound lower than a 4???

get nothing less than a 600, i dont give a shit if a 250/500 is slower you can get fucked up just as easily on a small bike as a bigeer one. iit doesnt matter if you start on a busa or a ninja 250 if you respect the bike and what its capable of then youll be ok. you start on a smaller bike and then what? you go to as bigger buike and its a completely different feel and youll pretty much need to realearn how to ride it anyways it'll handle much different, stop different, powerband is different. 600 are not fast unless you rev the shit out of them, so unless your driving like a retard you have no more of a chance of getting hurt than being on a 250.

i learned how to ride on my 954. its really not that big of a deal.

id stick witha honda, probably a 2003+ F4I or a 600RR. they can be had for under 5K.

Quoted post[/post]]
I went to Shaws the other day to go food shopping, picked up the newes issue of motor cyclist, they were doing a review on 6 bikes, Triumph has a new 636cc inline 3... it looks a lot better than the "jap" bikes, everyone was sayin how the motor sounds better but didnt describe it... does a 3 sound lower than a 4???

You mean the 675? that bike is sick.

ok here's my $0.02

a 600cc bike is a great starter and it's a bike you can keep for a while without getting bored of it.
that 250cc Ninja will be fine for about 3-4 months and then you'll want an upgrade.

the 600's are good all around bikes. on a track they're generally quicker than the big liter bikes because of the power to weight ratio.

to be perfectly honest as far as the different mfg's, they're all pretty good. as a beginner you're not really gonna be able to tell the difference between them unless you take all of them on the track and get on 'em back to back.

As promised:

Spain375_R6_small.jpg

Spainymas234_Ducati_small.jpg

I wish I could have gotten this picture of this guy's built CBR600. It sounded like a demon.

i never noticed the long narrow fairing running almost half the length of the R6...
that kills it along with that shitty exhaust

Yeah I didn't really like those two things either. But they guy that worked at the restaraunt close to my host house that owned that bike was cool. :thumbsup:

I would def start with a 600cc bike...my first bike was my current 04 cbr600rr and i love it i couldbnt have asked for a better bike to learn on. Its not hella crazy powerful but it does go damn good when u get up in the rpm's. handles awesome is smooth as i could ask for. I would go honda without a question, but thats just me......600f4i 600rr, or otherwise id go with an r6 or a gsxr600.

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm buying a sport bike, need some good input on what to get.

helmet
g16506.jpg

gloves
g11731.jpg

jacket
g9064.jpg

boots
g9101.jpg

brands are not as important as the fact that you have the gear AND WEAR IT

as far as what bike to get i would suggest a 600... but thats up to you... and as far as what brand / model to buy.... go out and sit on all of them.... get the one that feels best to you

My friend went and picked one of these up today...
hayabusa.jpg

...but he's the type of person who buys shit just for the bling factor. He had a ZX-6 as a first bike and he was already sketchy on it, now he steps up to a Hayabusa, fucking retard. I told him to at least get better riding the 600 but he's hard headed. I honestly told him that I want to see him drop the Hayabusa (not kill his self) so I can tell him I told him so. but he will learn the hard way. Oh, forgot to mention, he doesn't wear gear either. Just a helmet. :dry:

Quoted post[/post]]
i never noticed the long narrow fairing running almost half the length of the R6...
that kills it along with that shitty exhaust
wait till you see the front fairing between the headlights, it only gets better :puke: I hate the way the new R6 looks

Quoted post[/post]]my second bike was a NINJA 250, and it was a huge upgrade from my first bike
my first bike 1980 yamaha sr250 exciter
:blink: I have a twin?

I had a 1981 sr250 for 3 months finally ended up laying it down after running over a puddle of motor oil in the road and broke the crankcase

I then sold it and bought a Yamaha CT1.... a 1971.... :p Rebuilt it and gave it to my father, he had one EXACTLY like it when he was my age.

I will be buying a 250r very soon. I have ridden on 2 and I know how "fast" they are. I am still buying one.

I have ridden an R6 and tried to ride a busa.... f that. The ninja was WAY to much fun the corners.

I had a 1981 sr250 for 3 months finally ended up laying it down after running over a puddle of motor oil in the road and broke the crankcase

i honestly loved that bike
i bought it for 300-400 bucks or something when i was 16
got my license on it before i had a car permit even
i lived way up in the woods where a "block" is like 5 miles to go around
no one i knew had a bike or license so my dad let me drive around the block to practice because there were never cops around there
dropped it a couple times, no moving fall overs like everyone has

my uncle has a lic so he took me for my test
made it about 10 minutes into the 35 minute ride home and the rocker arm snapped

here's a video for anyone thinking about getting a bike
http://my.break.com/Content/ViewContentPub...ak.com%2f100894

I love the new R6's. I will have one. Pics don't do the body justice. I liked my 2005 though, I'd recommend one to you, but not as a starter bike. Get something that you won't feel bad a bout dropping, because you WILL drop it, no matter how careful you are. It's gonna happen.

Quoted post[/post]]
I love the new R6's. I will have one. Pics don't do the body justice. I liked my 2005 though, I'd recommend one to you, but not as a starter bike. Get something that you won't feel bad a bout dropping, because you WILL drop it, no matter how careful you are. It's gonna happen.

damn, not really what i wanted to hear. but i understand how things like this work. I have my big commission check going through this week and hopefully will have something to post about within the next week or so.

I went and looked over previous posts, and I definitely agree with jeffie, go buy a bike that YOU feel comfortable with. Screw everyone else, because they won't be riding the bike. If you can control yourself in your riding style and resist the urge to hammer the throttle, any bike will suit you fine, but imo, the more comfortable you feel with it, the better off you'll be. I liked my R6, very comfortable, the engine is SILK all the way to 15k, and has more power than you'll EVER need on the street if you know how to ride a high strung r6. The R6 had more than enough balls in low speed traffic, I never had a problem bogging it, even in LA traffic jams splitting lanes in high gear. The seat wasn't uncomfortable, and the riding position ios pretty upright if you are tall like me (6'2"-gorilla arms). My favorite part about it was the fact that it was SO much lighter than my old 1990 hurricane 600, it felt like a bicycle between my legs by comparison. If you get one, you WILL love it. But just get something that fits you well. I like all the new 600s that are coming out, but am partial to yamaha, because I owned one. 250s imo are too small, but if you are the type that wants to race anything and everything, or you just don't feel comfortable with a 600, I'd recommend a smaller bike. Definitely try to get something that is fuel injected, carbs suck imo.

Back