I'm very new

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tdg

Ok. I recently bought a bone stock 2000 Civic Si.
Forgive my ignorance but I am not very knowledgeable about the mechanics of cars. I have some basic knowledge, and follow Hondas etc. but I couldn't troubleshoot jack shit.
If anyone has the patience to give me a few pointers I'd appreciate it.

Is there anything special anyone knows about the 2000 Si that might come in useful ? I'm keeping the thing stock, but I mean like some maintenance etc. issues. I've filled it with premium gas so far; but don't know if I need to.
I know that oil should be changed every 3000 miles? What about buying oil, and would I need to change it all out or what. Hah, I took an auto basics class in highschool but I can't remember much.
The car has 70,000 miles and it was babied. The previous owners took extremely good care of it. So, no need to really worry about things, because it checks out in that regard. No racing and no rice in its past.
Still I can't help but wonder if there's anything I should watch.

One thing that's bugging me. The rear left seatbelt is stuck; like, it won't pull out at all, and it is completely tight to the seat. This is weird, and I opened the trunk and checked out the parts for the thing but am afraid to fuck with it too much because I don't know if I'll break something.

I know i'll probably think of something else but for now that's it. thx

seatbelts have a lifetime warranty from honda. drive it to any dealer, and they will fix it for free.

70k, i'd look into doing a timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, etc... check to see if the previous owner did a 60k servce on it

For the oil I recomend any synthetic oil and a k&n filter. They aren't really things you need but they make your enging run better, although they also cost more. K&N makes the best filters :D

you surely dont need premium gas in a stock car...no modifications...leave it that way...premium gas will just kill your wallet...when changing your oil, depending on often you drive and for how long...synthetic is good but not always needed unlkess your motor is being abused like a highway race or an occasional red light run...but yeah, use K&N air filter and FRAM oil filter...theyve got some new X2 oil filter, it costs $10 but its so advanced its actually worth it...they use the air filter technology in the oil filter to completely rid the nasty shit that may circulate through the motor...also, invest in a magnetic oil pan bolt or whatever theyre called...it will catch little metal particles that are dispersed from your engines moving parts

Originally posted by spectacle@Jul 27 2004, 11:09 AM
I was told to use 93 @ all times possible in my b16 because of the compression??
[post=368732]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

i live in canada I have a SIR, same b16a2 engine, anyways yes u have to use premium, says it right on the gas lid. The best oil for ur car is mobil1 5w-30, personally I would use an oil filter right from honda there like 8$, there filters are designed specifically for there engines so I wouldn't really use anything else.
oh and my engine burns on average 1/2 a quart every 3000 miles so check it regularily and top it up if it needs it.

yes, you must use premium, that other kid doesn't know what he's talking about. the b16 has a higher compression ratio than that of the other D series civics, so therefore needs 91+octane.

you can run as low an octain till you detonate. As long as no detanation then there wont be any bad stuff happening to your engine. I run 89 on my GSR and so do many others. Now i wouldint even consider 87 but you can try 89 amd as long as its not making any shitty noises, witch it wont, you will be fine. With that said there might be a small gain in perfomance though with 91 over the 89 even if its running good on it the 91 may give it a small kick more but nothin much. And as far as synthetic oil gos, you should do some reading and asking questions because theres alot that dont use it and alot who do, about 50/50.

Oh yeah, think of and engine as a big air pump. Sucking it in and blowing it out...............The ass :D

Originally posted by 88bluehf+Jul 27 2004, 12:19 PM-->
spectacle
@Jul 27 2004, 11:09 AM
I was told to use 93 @ all times possible in my b16 because of the compression??
[post=368732]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:
[post=368737]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: 10.2:1 compression needs at least 91 octane... of course the B16 has anti knock capability so 87 won't necessarily hurt it, but it's not going to be good for the motor to run it like that.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Jul 27 2004, 03:16 PM
:werd: 10.2:1 compression needs at least 91 octane... of course the B16 has anti knock capability so 87 won't necessarily hurt it, but it's not going to be good for the motor to run it like that.
[post=368933]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid: thats the right info, there was some bad stuff above, another thing honda filters are the way to go for the oil, avoid fram, they are popular but are not a good filter

I would do new plugs, cap and rotor, wires, timing belt.

93 gas
5w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic
honda MTF for the tranny
Replace air filter for intake and inside cabin
Flush Coolant system and add new

and your off........

Thanks so much for your replies.
I'll check into it all.
I'm a little nervous only because I have no experience troubleshooting cars. Nothing's wrong with it right now, but you know, ya gotta keep up on maintenance.. I just have no experience doing it.
Ok, so I'll continue using premium gas, get that oil going, and take it to a Honda dealer for the seatbelt.. I can handle all that.
The other stuff mentioned is over my head...I'll have to get some help on that I think.

Is it best to just take it to Honda and have them check the car out? Like the whole general tune up thing. Shouldn't cost too much right...

Lol, again, forgive me, I am such a newbie to this thing.

Originally posted by JDMilan+Jul 27 2004, 06:56 PM-->
I would do new plugs, cap and rotor, wires, timing belt.

93 gas
5w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic
honda MTF for the tranny
Replace air filter for intake and inside cabin
Flush Coolant system and add new

and your off........
[post=369003]Quoted post[/post]​
:werd: Couldn't have been said better.

tdg
@Jul 27 2004, 08:35 PM
Nothing's wrong with it right now, but you know, ya gotta keep up on maintenance..
[post=369058]Quoted post[/post]​

For shizzle. I work for Goodyear, and I cannot belive the amount of shit peoples cars go through by not keeping up with a good maintanance schedule. Idiots...

Originally posted by UDT@Jul 27 2004, 05:33 PM
you can run as low an octain till you detonate. As long as no detanation then there wont be any bad stuff happening to your engine. I run 89 on my GSR and so do many others. Now i wouldint even consider 87 but you can try 89 amd as long as its not making any shitty noises, witch it wont, you will be fine. With that said there might be a small gain in perfomance though with 91 over the 89 even if its running good on it the 91 may give it a small kick more but nothin much. And as far as synthetic oil gos, you should do some reading and asking questions because theres alot that dont use it and alot who do, about 50/50.

Oh yeah, think of and engine as a big air pump. Sucking it in and blowing it out...............The ass :D
[post=368877]Quoted post[/post]​

You have a knock sensor. you can run 87 in a b-series and not have it knock. this is because once the computer reconizes the knock, it will retard the timing. Your performance will suck. In a high compression engine like the b18c1, b16a2, and the b18c5, you need 91 octane gas.

As b said, do the timing belt, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, waterpump, and also change the transmission fluid.

What about buying oil, and would I need to change it all out or what. Hah, I took an auto basics class in highschool but I can't remember much.

lol, you must have fallen asleep alot in auto class if you can't remember how to do an oil change.

Basicly, here is how you do it....

Run car for a little bit to get it close to operating tempature
Raise car up, put jack stands up for safty (never get under a car without jackstands)
find the drain plug (17mm) undo that, and let the oil drain into a drain pan untill it no long drips (takes about 10 minutes to drain it)
Pull the filter off (warning, b-series and d-series oil filters are in a really shitty location, and are hard to get at) let that oil drain into a pan. Make sure the little gasket came off with the filter.
Get new filter, rub oil on the new filters gasket
Put it on (hand tight) put the drain plug back (not to tight) Put oil in (4 qts in your case)

Is it best to just take it to Honda and have them check the car out? Like the whole general tune up thing. Shouldn't cost too much right...

Honda seams to enjoy raping people in the ass when it comes to shit like that. Expect 100+ for that kind of stuff. Ends up being just a very fancy oil change.

some of the stuff may be a little over your head, but alot of the stuff you can do, like the tranny fluid change (basicly easier then an oil change, except harder to put new fluid back in.), coolant, air filters, ect. Nothings really that hard on hondas. One thing that you may want to invest in is a Helms manual. It is the offical shop manual for hondas and is the most extensive and easiest to follow manual out there, and is worth every penny.

Originally posted by tdg@Jul 27 2004, 09:35 PM

Lol, again, forgive me, I am such a newbie to this thing.
[post=369058]Quoted post[/post]​

Stop right there........

Getting your Civic serviced regularily at Honda = Good.

Going into Honda saying My car needs a "Tune UP" =Bad

What exactly is a "tune up"?? There are scheduled maintenence visits you should meet eg. Timing belt, but there is no such thing as a "tune up". There are no bolts on the side of your engine that you tighten, and then your car runs well again.
When you say that word to a service tech at Honda or any other shop in the business of making money, that equals "Sucker". You will be taken for as much money as you will dish out, wether you need the parts or not. It's a sad truth, and, yes, there are some decent mechanics out there, but the majority of places will take you for everything you're worth.

If you're not doing any of the work yourself, then you have to do 2 things:
1. Educate yourself. Read the post here at Hondaswap...if you dont understand, ask questions. At least familiarize yourself with the basics of general maintenence of your car....when you go to get maintenence done, know exactly whats expected. Just remember....for every potential problem, there is a symptom.

2. Get a good Mechanic that you trust. Ask questions.....talk to them......be eager to learn......create a relationship with them. Get them to show you their work and explain why it needed maintenence. If parts were replaced, get them to show you the old part and explain why it needed replacing. The mechanic I go to ALWAYS shows me everything he does....then teaches me along the way. Even when it comes time for the bill.....he goes over EVERY part replaced, ever hour of labour...Everything. He only deals with Honda/Acura, so if you can find a place like that, or a decent Honda dealership...then your good. Just be nosey...it's your car....it's your right.

Like the past two replies have said you need to educate yourself in basic maintenance of your car. The first step like asmallsol said is to get a good manual. Most of the basic maintenance stuff can be done yourself for just the cost of the parts instead of having to pay Honda or some shop $50-60 per hour for labor. Learning how to do this stuff on your own will also help you get to better know your car and whats going on with it. This can be benificial to you in finding a good place to get major mechanic work done, cause if you know your car well enough you'll know when someone knows what they are talking about and you'll know when someone is trying to screw you over. Most of the stuff mentioned( changing air filter, coolant, oil.....) is really easy, it may take you some time to figure it out the first time but after that it becomes easy.

Cool. Thanks for the input.
I'm only nervous because I am new to it.
But I'm no moron, I could figure the shit out if I had the proper manual. I'll check into that Helms manual, btw is there a good place to get this manual?
I know people that could help me with this stuff, and sure, I'd prefer to not get raped in the ass going to Honda to have them do that shit for me for a lot of $$$. That much I did learn in auto basics; regarding how shops will screw you.
But yeah, falling asleep in class wasn't far off, I simply had my attention on other things; er, people, you know how it goes. But I did do oil changes, and I'm sure with the proper input, manual etc. it would all come back to me. It's just weird doing it on a good car that I actually care about, just makes me nervous.
Thanks for the help, keep it coming if there's anything to add, and I'll post my progress.
I love this forum.

Back