Importing H22A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slave_unit

Good day. I'm hoping somebody can help me here.

I am active duty military and just came back from a tour in Japan. While there, I bought a '94 Prelude and took the H22A out to ship back to the States. I did. All the shipper told me I'd need was the bill of lading, packing list and payment.

The engine arrived. When I was going to pick it up, customs looked for an EPA Compliance letter. I called Honda, they said they won't help me. They only do for whole cars. I've tried calling Honda dealers, engine importers and everybody. No help. Customs won't help either. The shipper says they know nothing about it. Everybody else says "tough sh*t".

The warehouse will start charging by the day starting on the 15th. My option at the moment is sending the engine back to Japan to cut my losses.

How can I get it through customs? Maybe there's somebody out there who has a Prelude compliance letter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

this is why you buy motors through dealers who have this paper work/customs agent stuff already taken care of.

you'll probably end up spending more than just buying a new h22 to get it in.... if ever / at all

send it back or something

Send it back and cut your losses. That's pretty much your only option at this point...

I pulled it off. I got my engine and it's sitting in my parking space right now.

The EPA form 3520-1 that one uses to import cars and car parts does not have particular provisions for car engines. The closest provision it has is for a "light duty or light duty truck" unmounted engine.

My customs broker and me worked it and customs let us through.

^_^

3113468655_1305dd9bec.jpg

After pulling teeth with customs, finding swap parts and dealing with electricals that gone bad from the engine being stored outdoors in my backyard, it's done.

The car is a beast. It pulls like a olympic sprinter on crack.

Many thanks to PTuning performance shop in Virginia for working with me. They give awesome service. Ptuning.com - Performance Auto Parts Warehouse, Installation, and Dyno Tuning Services

Next, start recovering from the financial damage. lol.

Good job guy. It looks great in there.

Back